The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Will to win > Comments

Will to win : Comments

By Stephen Hagan, published 19/11/2007

I’m excited by the constructive dialogue on Indigenous issues which has been entered into during this federal election campaign.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Don’t get too excited, Stephen. Remember, it’s all election talk.

John Howard is desperate to claw back every single vote he can, and Rudd has been merely ‘me-tooing’ on everything. They are both cynically using the outdated concept of “Indigenous Australians”, as you so quaintly call yourselves, in just the same way as they use everyone and everything at election time. You got a Guernsey this election because Howard is really packing the old poo poos, and anything is worth a try.

Eventually, you blackfellas are going to have to accept the fact that your version of the ‘race card’ isn’t going to work; you are going to have to fall into line with the rest of us. There is no place for your apartheid-like sentiments in modern society
Posted by Leigh, Monday, 19 November 2007 9:13:28 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Leigh the whole of white fella's primative "me"society is built on the concept of aparthied towards blackfellas, starting with the illegal occupation of our lands and our enslavement as a people's.

We payed taxes on half the pay of whites for the same job for 67 years which we could not use by law or the fact our dead died on foriegn battlefields defending this country whilst classified under flora and fauna.

What about or the handouts you lot give to your selves whilst excluding us, including first home owners grant in rich areas, fuel and fertilizers subsidies, charities exempt, and the big one the AWA etc. Also for you people problems with drugs and medical care only happened when it effected your children, for us it has been happening for years making our life expectancy 17 years shorter.

I don't agree with these endless lobby groups because it serves no purpose other than a personal one for people wanting fame, so I think it high time these matters were bought to the attention of the world community. Cutting sporting and cultural contact with Australia will have more effect on our issues than talk.
Posted by Yindin, Monday, 19 November 2007 10:15:15 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Rudd Sledged to Win is what I WANT. It's now Time Too ALL HELP Problem Solve.

See my latest animation "Do We Have A Problem"?

Gads - can someone download this to YouTube for me please?

I cant upload on YouTube yet because I don't have the right IT access to shops or access to these IT community resources.

Help CLOSE THE DIGITAL DIVIDE.

Can Someone help get this "Do We Have A Problem" clip ( and download it) to the Unleashed ABC TEAM please?

The piece "Do We Have a Problem Australia" is on

http://www.miacat.com/ALTMANN_SLEDGE_ENT.asp

follow the link to see the larger clip the Larger Master.

I think this Animation clip "Do We Have A Problem" expresses in sixes the depth of what you are saying Stephen Hagan - pixels colored for canvas on the question of ta most pressing ideological twist.

Fancy not being able to upload this clip to YouTube? So simple they say.

This is where Rudds and Garrett team have it over Howard's, who have no idea about the technical policy things involved to unleash the capacity mode on this stuff.

Knowledge - Learning - Doing... COUNTS with others in a team.... but ay gotta have tools.

I can't upload the "Do We Have A Problem" animation because the world wide web is so hip-moo modern and me trusty old bush-whacked IT gear is just too under the table.

But hey - I can see the Chaser WOE clips from the ABC. "WELL DONE" by DESIGN.

And where's that Rover bus when you need it?

We have to make some Aussie GLUE here.

It is Up to Australia as Citizens to STAND - unify our national knowledge to problem solve ahead through sharing the innovation of our diverse and unique skills.

We want a Federal ALP and Balanced House in the Senate leadership.

We want some of our best Aussie Values back.

http://www.miacat.com
Posted by miacat, Monday, 19 November 2007 12:02:31 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Seven

I think the war has already been fought and won. I don't think Howard is leading on this issue. I think he is merely following and enunciating to where the vast majority of Australians have already gone.
I think the major battles were the Embassy, Mabo, Sorry and Reconciliation. They awakened people. I believe while many disagreed with the thrust of each, nearly everyone became much more sympathetic and, dare I say it, generous in spirit as a result of the exposure to the 'new' ideas they generated.

Rudd hasn't the same perception as Howard. He hasn't any.
Posted by keith, Monday, 19 November 2007 6:08:02 PM
Kevin Rudds government as the only government able to engage the wealth - mind and contribution towards the greater wealth of all Australia.

Your comment surprised me Keith.

Rudd will help to build on 'grassroot' community - build on regional development and, monitor better the policies that connect us, this nation to the pacific, and the rest of the world.

The Regional Partnership scandal is quite real Keith. Narrow and exclusively bias practices of the present Federal administration in government must change. Millions is just being wasted!

This Nation needs a Leadership that is prepared to embrace capacty that is presently being oppressed.

Rudds government is LISTENING!

This is not apathy and game playing Keith.

Through OLO forum, I know you to be intelligent. A fine open person on critical arguement, a person like myself who can be trusted to find vision beyond pork barrels and spin.

Technically, through good governance, I see Rudd able to inspire business, innovation and begin NOW the real work required to build and unleash the capacity present at ground levels.

People will help make change and it is a governments faith in people that needs the most support. Money cant buy this. It is about integrity, fair-go and the equity that must come with it.

In all rural areas our communities are "shrinking", we are being divided by party politics. Our isolation is about more than pure distance.

Inclusiveness through democracy is affronting Keith. It means more people get represented, and it has to be done.

As Australians we need attentiveness. To Rebuild Trust. We must work to GIVE the "dignity" back to the people in community, at ALL ground levels.

All minority and fringe groups have been under-mentioned and under-funded in this election. No real infrusuture. Howards 'give-aways-vote=me-in' budget is abusive. Lost is the MINDFULNESS. A lifetime opportunity to rebuild Australia, reduced fettered cash.

It is SHAMEFUL but I do at least see away forward with ALP. There is much vision, more representation through business and community, given we also vote for a better balance power in the Senate.

Posted by miacat, Monday, 19 November 2007 8:43:34 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Stephen,

As a lecturer you should know better that Section 128 referendum only can be used to amend “The Constitution” and the preamble is not part of it. Hence, try to understand and comprehend you are falling for the carrot John Howard is showing you!
My blog at http://au.360.yahoo.com/profile-ijpxwMQ4dbXm0BMADq1lv8AYHknTV_QH sets out in detail the issues about Aboriginals. Hence no need to repeat the same in the post.
Posted by Mr Gerrit H Schorel-Hlavka, Tuesday, 20 November 2007 12:28:59 AM
miacat, you say that "Rudd will help to build on 'grassroot' community". This can't be the Kevin Rudd that I used to work with and is now my MP, a control freak who likes to keep everything to himself. In Queensland, Kevin would hardly share with the Ministers he was supposed to serve, let alone have dialogue with the community. Dream on.

Stephen, I hope that whoever governs, the recent initiatives lead to genuine progress on aboriginal/indigenous well-being and other issues.
Posted by Faustino, Tuesday, 20 November 2007 3:31:14 PM
Mr Rudd will fail the indigenous people just like Mr Howard, Mr Hawke (sorry Paul you were not their long enough), Mr Fraser and Mr Whitlam. These men are not God and politicians are incapable of changing mindsets and behaviours that are self destructing. The only people who can solve the horrible tragic state of our indigenous people are themselves. To think a change of Government or to provide false hope is cruel.
Posted by runner, Tuesday, 20 November 2007 4:35:16 PM
When the rice field floods we blame the emperor because it rains. How boring!

It is worse still when the emperor blames the rain for our demise.

The dream is that we take responsiblity for the rice, prepare ourselves for the flood and be allowed to do it properly using a village full of knowledge based on common sense.

Wake Up Apathy Breeds contempt.

I agree that Indigenous people need to do things themselves. Ownership of ones own destiny is just the point and, having policies that can help emancipate capacity is all that is required to start a pathway to Will to Win.

Posted by miacat, Wednesday, 21 November 2007 2:11:24 AM
If I spend my welfare on alcohol and beat the excrement out of my misses i am an r'shole, but if i call myself an aborigine then there is a built-in excuse. Until we have the same standards for every citizen there is no hope. Most aborigines i have met over the years have been scammers and richard edheads who exploit the guilt and ignorance of the majority. It can't go on like that forever.
Posted by citizen, Wednesday, 21 November 2007 6:03:02 PM
Thanks, Stephen. But just on your mention of 'terra nullius', I'm not so sure that it was ever law:

Extract from:
ABORIGINES’ FRIENDS’ ASSOCIATION (INC.)

78th ANNUAL REPORT : 1936

-- 35-37 --

The Rights of the Aborigines Safeguarded in the Pastoral Leases

[35] ... AS ENQUIRIES are being made about the retention of the rights of the aborigines to hunt on pastoral leases, the Association has looked carefully into this matter, and we find that in all the South Australian pastoral leases the following clause has been inserted: “ And reserving to aboriginal inhabitants of the said State and their descendants during the continuance of this lease full and free right of egress and regress into upon and over the said lands and every part thereof and in and to the springs and surface waters therein and to make and erect and to take and use for food, birds and animals ferae naturae in such manner as they would have been entitled to if this lease had not been made. ” Rights Now Safeguarded.
WHEN THE NORTHERN AUSTRALIAN ACT was repealed in 1931, the separate territories of North Australia and Central Australia were abolished, and the Northern Territory as formerly was reverted to. A new Crown Lands Ordinance No. 2 of 1931, which repealed the Ordinances of North Australia and Central Australia, was passed, and this Ordinance is the existing law under which pastoral leases may be granted throughout the Northern Territory and the reservation in favour of the aboriginals [ 37 ] has been carried forward and applies to all such pastoral leases. It will be seen, therefore, that Mr. Bleakley’s remarks are not correct insofar as they refer to leases recently issued. However, the matter will ultimately correct itself, as, when the existing South Australian leases and those granted under the Crown Lands Ordinance 1912-1923 expire by effluxion of time or are sooner determined, any new leases granted over the lands formerly included in the old leases will be issued in accordance with the existing law and be subject to the reservation.

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Thursday, 22 November 2007 2:09:43 PM
Just to add to that last posting, about the rights of Aboriginal people to make use of land subject to Pastoral Leases in South Australia and the Northern Territory, I'm fascinated by that last phrase of the clause that had t obe in every Lease: 'rights to egress, ingress etc. etc. AS IF THIS LEASE HAD NOT BEEN MADE.' What did that mean ? ['Did' because it is no longer law].
Posted by Loudmouth, Thursday, 22 November 2007 4:48:03 PM
Miacat, I’ve been watching from the sidelines at your posts for some time … I am encouraged and empathise with what you have to say … but I am disillusioned.

I find it so frustrating that people, when confronted with ideas that challenge their way of thinking and initially want to engage (or shoot you down), they then disengage.

Is this an admission on their part that they may be wrong but prefer to bury their head in the sand – an apparent defence mechanism? Methinks it is.

Best wishes for tomorrow.
Posted by Q&A, Friday, 23 November 2007 6:27:36 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy