The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Young people duped by a culture of degrading sexual attitudes > Comments

Young people duped by a culture of degrading sexual attitudes : Comments

By Maree Crabbe, published 15/11/2007

Young people are being ripped off by a culture that promotes a hollow understanding of intimacy and tolerates degrading attitudes towards women.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 26
  8. 27
  9. 28
  10. All
Totally agree with the article though I don't quite believe this claim:

"In Australia, about 1 in 3 young women will experience sexual assault by the time they're 18."

In devastated remote aboriginal communities, yes, I can believe it. I can even believe that these communities experience even higher levels which probably feed into the average, however given the small population of these areas I still can't believe that broad statistic is accurate.

I can believe it's shamefully high, but not quite that high.
Posted by TurnRightThenLeft, Thursday, 15 November 2007 9:19:49 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I think women maree crabbe are the problem other women need to address and solve among themselves first.

In this article maree has treated other women as mindless robots whom cant think and act for their own interests either on their own or as a group of women...and somehow got a genetic mishap that makes them slaves to their people in their dependent environment...a reasoning mind will become busy for months trying to get to the inner working of the mind of maree to come out with this work of fiction to editors of large circulating newspaper like age approving it...

for a start if the above was true then women as a group are well on their way to becoming extinct...but one look on the streets show that their generally no different to anyone else in crossing the streets, driving and interacting with others...

There is a long way between a teenage girl sitting in the class room paying attention to education and focused in establishing her self as a money earner with a regular profession and her own life...the real women...to finding herself at the back of the school toilets on her knees pleasing a guy...i mean at moments like this do her eyes cross and she froths at the mouth as well...i have never seen an 'unthinking' woman...so what is the process that inbetween these two...

and one has to keep in mind that she is 'intentionally and willing' participant...why...to increase her sexual experience, her 'pleasing skills', confirm her sex appeal and list goes on...anone denying this exists is more than likely creating fact to fit into a agenda for a predetermined outcome...

A better article would be one that addressed both sexes, women are critical of men and their sexual size and perfomance and like...which damaging in many ways to men...and violence now is so well covered and litigated that we dont need to push punishment of men to the extreme...

Sam
Posted by Sam said, Thursday, 15 November 2007 9:29:15 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It is good to see that the article is not gender biased in any way, and mentions incidents such as the two teenage girls who murdered a taxi driver, and the 2 teenage girls who killed their friend by strangling her with wire and leaving the body in a waste bin etc.

The article mentions the way women's magazines treat women as sex objects with articles such as “1083 Sexy buys”, which suggests to women that they are sex objects, and these articles would be particularly unhealthy for young girls.

The figure of 1 in 3 has now reduced from the usual 1 in 4, and it is good to see that the article also mentions the dismissive attitude that so many women now seem to have towards the male gender, and the dismissive attitude that the media also has for the male gender.

So in all the article is balanced, and takes a broad and unbiased view of the situation.
Posted by HRS, Thursday, 15 November 2007 10:31:48 AM
Are you kidding?

this is 2007, not 1957. this is the time where women hold the trump cards, where independant powerful women rule the roost.

I know they do in my household.

I agree sexualising kids from a young age is not good, but it is better than in thew old days where young girls had to make far more mistakes to understand their sexuality. At least many of them have some grasp through being exposed to it at a young age. it can be argued that this gives them the wrong idea about what sex means, but lets be honest here, sex just isnt about a mummy and daddy loving eachother very much anymore, society has matured.

Things that used to be taboo arnt so much anymore. Women arnt just male appendiges anymore.

At least as a society it is becoming more accepted for people to express their sexualtiy and if it means a few flings or one offs etc, it is part of the learning curve.

Id rather know a girl has been there and made a few mistakes and learnt from it than not having made one mistake and forever wondering about whats on the other side of the fence and getting seven year itches.

Sex is not all about love, the sooner we all wake up about it the better.
Posted by Realist, Thursday, 15 November 2007 11:28:10 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
A strong article and a couple of valid comments. I find it hard to believe one in three women are abused, though my advanced age may have shielded me from the reality. Any abuse is too much, so how can it be reduced? Single sex schools had/have much to recommend them: the presence of testosterone charged adolescent boys will always create problems in a co-ed environment. But, mothers and other older women seem to have abdicated their responsibility for teaching their daughters how to protect themselves. Which is the greater problem: to be thought and called “frigid” or to be known as “easy”?
Posted by Johntas, Thursday, 15 November 2007 11:34:55 AM
Johntas,
I agree that it is always the fault of the boys.

And I actually think that teenage boys should be taken out of schools, because of the possibility that they could carry out abuse to the non-sexcharged teenage girls.

Any parent would know that teenage girls are definitely non-sexcharged and have no interest at all in sex.
Posted by HRS, Thursday, 15 November 2007 12:28:10 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 26
  8. 27
  9. 28
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy