The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Media's ugly obsession with women's looks > Comments

Media's ugly obsession with women's looks : Comments

By Kate Seear, published 7/11/2007

While women have made advances in public life the scrutiny of women's bodies seems to have gathered pace.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
What is Maxim, and who reads men's magazines anyway.

But it reminds me of a very popular women's magazine I saw recently with an article titled “How to make your Butt look awesome”.
Posted by HRS, Wednesday, 7 November 2007 3:39:14 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
You were doing so well until you mentioned Cheryl Kernot.

This real life media tart sold her story to the gossip mag's, posing in a dreadful outfit and giving an interview that undermined any shred of credibility she may have once possessed.

Worse than that, she beleived that people actually gave a toss.
Posted by Ray Luca, Wednesday, 7 November 2007 3:50:05 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
With the risk of being labeled in the same vain as the mufti, women could take a stand against the fashion of the day and dressed modestly. Despite the protests men will actually respect you more. Mothers are guilty often of dressing their young girls in the latest slinkiest outfits. It really does not hurt that much to cover the parts that mens eyes are naturally attracted to. If you dress like a prostitute you will viewed that way. Men will score you out of 10 whether they want to admit it or not. Blame the media all you want but a little personal responsibility and facing reality goes a long way.
Posted by runner, Wednesday, 7 November 2007 4:55:31 PM
I was all poised to make the comment that these lists are generally only of interest to women. Just look at the myriad of women's magazine all obsessing with looks, then along comes runner.

Runner, there have always been sleazes like you who, on seeing a woman, wants to have a peek at the 'naughty' bits. There are women too who will, on seeing a man, straight away look at the 'naughty' bits and judge you. Hope you are wearing baggy long pants.
Posted by yvonne, Wednesday, 7 November 2007 5:30:12 PM
Yeah I'm inclined to agree with you runner - men like to look at women dressed as tarts (its in the genes, right?) but they don't take the same women home to meet their mother. They'd be frankly uncomfortable.

I"m pretty embarrassed by how young women dress these days but then I'm ancient at 38. Back when I was a teenager it was what you DIDN'T show that was the intriguing part. Call me old fashioned, but women enjoy the chase as much as men do. The greater the challenge, the more valued the prize in the end.

I feel that if you want a guy to value you, dress as you wish to be valued. Very few women would be ok with taking a man home to mother that is dressed in a skimpy lifesaver top and a pair of budgie smugglers, but the same females think they have the right to dress as they choose. I think this is a double standard. The bulging feminine stomach overlapping a pair of hip hugging jeans over fat thighs is to me the epitome of leaving NOTHING to the imagination, or even generating much respect in the eyes of the viewer.

As I'm bi, I love the feminine form as much as the next guy.

C'mon girls, show a bit of mystique!
Posted by spritegal, Wednesday, 7 November 2007 5:34:52 PM
Sadly, this is really nothing new. This bias does permeate the media and with that our lives in subtle and not so subtle ways.

You only have to look at newsreaders to see that not only does a female newsreader have to be reasonably intelligent (okay okay some of them do not appear to be as intelligent as we would like) but good looking as well.

On the other hand male newsreaders do not seem to suffer the same prejudice if the number of balding, overweight men with glasses is anything to go by. Not that there is anything wrong with that - the point being that in a perfect world, talent should always override more superficial attributes.

And quite frankly I don't care who is the most sexy or the least sexy - and in the words of my teenage children I can only say "get a life". Are there not more important issues facing the world now that we need to get on with?
Posted by pelican, Wednesday, 7 November 2007 5:36:03 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy