The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Thinking of going to uni or TAFE? Ask the hard questions now > Comments

Thinking of going to uni or TAFE? Ask the hard questions now : Comments

By Malcolm King, published 2/11/2007

The answers to these questions will help students make the choice that is right for them - and maybe save them a lot of money and hassle.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. All
Another point which i should have mentioned earlier.

It has been observed, that if a student wishes to have a successful outcome at a tertiary institution, he or she has a better chance if primary and particularly secondary education is obtained at a state school rather than at one of the ever burgeoning private colleges. This is in spite of the perceived deficiencies of the state run education system.

For this reason alone, those who wish to help pay for their child's tertiary education, but who are short of cash, would do well to send that child to a state run secondary college, even though the facilities may be lacking in a few areas. If your child has the necessary "ticker", he or she will not be disadvantaged in the long run.

David
Posted by VK3AUU, Tuesday, 6 November 2007 10:58:56 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
VK3AUU. That is of course if your child doesn't become a target and become depressed and turn to alcohol and drugs in order to cope with the victimisation, bullying and neglect that they experience.

Education - Keeping them HOnest
http://jolandachallita.typepad.com/education/
Our children deserve better
Posted by Jolanda, Tuesday, 6 November 2007 11:09:06 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Jolanda, somewhere or other your kids are going to enter the real world and believe me, it can be more brutal out there than it ever is in the much more controlled school environment. There are just as many bullies in the private school system as there are in the state schools. Your child just needs to learn how to deal with it. You won't always be there to deal with it for him/her.

David
Posted by VK3AUU, Tuesday, 6 November 2007 7:16:07 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
David my child/children are dealing with it and they are requesting that I stand up to the bullies on their behalf.

In the playground they stand up for themselves and are highly regarded by their peers, this issue is against adults in and with power in the system.

This all started when they were very young, you can hardly ask a child to stand up to an adult in power. It is my job to protect my children.

So, they are standing up for themselves. They have become very resiliant?
Posted by Jolanda, Tuesday, 6 November 2007 7:38:23 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It's interesting to see the wild figures bandied about concerning HECS debts. I have two degrees, neither paid for upfront, and my debt is substanially lower than any figure mentioned in this forum. Furthermore, I completed an education program in November 2004 and, in that same month, I was offered full-time employment. Within the next two months, I was offered no less than six different full-time, permanent teaching positions in Queensland and New South Wales. I have been a happy high school teacher ever since. I could not have achieved this without going to university, and it certainly did not cost me $60,000.
Posted by Otokonoko, Saturday, 24 November 2007 11:30:31 AM
That's because in some states, education and nursing degrees don't attract the same HECS fees as other degrees degrees. The Federal intervened due to perceived shortages in these areas.
Posted by Cheryl, Sunday, 25 November 2007 1:52:50 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy