The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Kevin: the morning after > Comments

Kevin: the morning after : Comments

By Tim Anderson, published 7/11/2007

Progressives have become so obsessed with the 'get rid of Howard' campaign that they speak little of the issues.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. All
Yes I did take offense. I fear no-one, am an original thinker and rarely intransiant. You'd agree my thoughts on the issues you raised are quite original in many respects and I'd enjoy discussion.

You agree Rudd cannot hold down interests rates. You understand why he keeps highlighting their rising. You'd agree with Milne's assessment? So why trust someone who is being so devious?

I didn't ask about Turnbull ... If you consider Garret as reasonable that's fine but how can you trust him given his about face on the issues he's traditionally held so dear?

I respected Latham ... he was honest and bagged for it by the media and his own side. I don't think he had a fair go.

You see Rudd who keeps adopting 91.5% of Howard's positions as progressive but that same policy when applied by Howard is seen as Neo-Con rightwing and divergent. I can't see any reason for regarding that as in any way progressive. You'd have been much better off highlighting the progressive positions of Rudd which are... Rolling back IR reform? Surely an oxymoron there.

My businesses arn't struggling. I rolled one back. I'm older and wiser. I don't need the hassles of looking for staff or dismissing anyone. Nor do I need as much money from that source any longer ... nor do I need an education revolution nor family welfare assistance. But I would like downward pressure on inflation coupled with higher interest rates. (Selfish eh?)

I'm not convinced climate change is totally man made. I'd like much more evidence than that provided by that UN body and the climate change fanatics. I am reserving my judgement. I guess I'm weighted down by the chains and shackles of a rigidity and discipline of reason.

Costs are currently being driven up by a lack of labour. That 4% unemployment is really a buggar. With regard to all the conditions being abolished under WA's ... so long as they are compensated when removed I don't see a problem.
Posted by keith, Wednesday, 14 November 2007 11:05:59 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
You like me and about 2 millon other Aussies, in running a small business, are no doubt accutely aware you don't get a paid annual leave, meal breaks, penalty rates or many of the other artificial perks employees have enjoyed for many years. I tend to think a minimum wage that takes in all those perks would be a much simpler and reasonable way in future. I had come to that conclusion long before Howard and Costello implemented the current IR regime. I'd employed casuals as the backbone of both my business ... for years.

That AWA your daughter was offered was illegal. If I had an employee I knew was about to graduate I would expect her to resign in the near future so I'd naturally reduce her hours to concentrate on and encourage newer employees who would be continuing once she'd left ... but then again I'd see that as putting my business first and not the HEC's debt of my soon to be former employee. (Who wouldn't be required to repay that debt while in my employ, anyway).

God, What degrees has she completed? My son would have had a HEC's debt of $35,000 with a double degree in Applied Science (Mathematic's) and Engineering (Electrical and Computer) I don't think he cares too much about his income, but it'll be substantial. He's a nerd and prefers achieving things.

He, like me, is very busy, unlike me he has contracted work experience at $24.50 an hour and ... but he's as opinated and talks just as much as me.

700...wow. 700 x 350 = 240,000 or a small book.

I think that deserves an explanation.

I work less than 20 hours a week, and have done not much more than that for many years. I've just managed things to give me time to do the things I enjoy ... like raising my kids alone, reading, writing and sailing. I guess I'm just organised.

This year I've been ill.
Posted by keith, Wednesday, 14 November 2007 11:06:12 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hello Keith, thanks for your response. Sorry I haven’t got back to you – I guess there are more things to life than OLO.

I think you may have misinterpreted what I’ve said, but that is of little consequence. Rudd's a very astute politician, as is Howard – but there are fundamental differences in their ideologies, agreed.

Maybe I wasn’t clear enough. It's been the Howard/Costello camp that condemns and complains about the Rudd ‘me-tooism’, but that is the point. Howard can’t have it both ways. There are fundamental differences between the two ideologies.

Examples: Iraq war and national security; infrastructure spending and planning for the future; health; education; climate change and sustainability; human rights and international/domestic law; industrial relations; so called free trade and protectionism; foreign affairs and international relations, even polling strategies – there is no me-tooism in these respects.

I'm encouraged by Rudd’s response to all these things, I think he is intelligent as well as smart, he can mix it at all levels and I believe he is genuine.

But make no mistake; he is a political animal – just like Howard, it seems we expect that in our leaders.

I don’t trust Howard anymore, I think he is devious. Examples: Iraq war and WMD, children overboard; Tampa/Pacific Solution; now a climate change believer; Senate power (IR laws); AWB; never-ever GST; indigenous affairs; demonising of unions; his incessant scare campaigns, core and non-core promises (not to be confused with latest auditor general’s report), his lies about $100k degrees.

Howard’s lost the plot, should’ve handed over to Costello – too arrogant.

I’m happy for you Keith, you’re doing ok – but many aren’t. You don’t need an education revolution, good for you – many think Australia needs it.

My daughter’s AWA is illegal (you know it, I know it, so does the boss and Howard, but what is she going to do, what are all the other sods going to do, and how long is the ombudsman’s waiting list now?

Howard’s old conservatism, Rudd’s new.
Posted by Q&A, Sunday, 18 November 2007 9:13:01 PM
Just came across this, explains things better than I can.

Talks about convergence in terms of progressive ideology,but also articulates differences in monetary and fiscal policy between Rudd and Howard/Costello - oxymoron, maybe.

Best wishes
Posted by Q&A, Monday, 19 November 2007 8:10:43 AM
Bugger, copied the link but didn’t paste and had to wait for the post and time limit to expire – been penalised for trying to post early too?! !?

So, here it is:

http://business.smh.com.au/metoo-a-mixed-blessing/20071116-1atx.html?page=2

No need to reply, the thread is dead.
Posted by Q&A, Monday, 19 November 2007 10:18:48 PM
Keith, sorry mate, I couldn't help it.

http://blogs.theaustralian.news.com.au/phillipadams/index.php/theaustralian/comments/pms_porkies_are_a_true_indicator

This would be so funny if it wasn't so serious.
Posted by Q&A, Wednesday, 21 November 2007 7:51:46 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy