The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Turkey struggles against the changing times > Comments

Turkey struggles against the changing times : Comments

By Bashdar Ismaeel, published 29/10/2007

In the current situation in the Middle East, the real issue for Turkey is not 3,000 rebels, but 15 million Kurds

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
The Kurdish situation is a by-product of the British-French colonial drawings in the sand, whereby territory was arbitrarily divided without consideration of ethnic relationships. The current Iraqi situation is another by-product, as is the Israel-Palestine issue.
The Kurdish situation is a by-product of the British-French colonial drawings in the sand, whereby territory was arbitrarily divided without consideration of ethnic relationships. The current Iraqi conflict is another by-product, as is the Israel-Palestine issue.

I lived and worked in the region for many years and came to believe that a Nation of Kurdistan should be excised from Iraq, Iran and Turkey and that, preferably, Turkey should cede a corridor to the Black Sea. However the region is a critical source of water for Turkey and I could understand its reluctance to deal - but 'she' could have lived in peace with such a land for peace deal (we all know about the other nearby non-land-for-peace-deal).

This Kurdistan issue is one of several land/ethnic disputes around the World, eg, West Irian (should have been merged with Papua New Guinea when the Dutch Colonies became Indonesia - its people are ethnically similar)

The issue provides cause for (carefull) UN action, basically to consider all ethnic disputes around the World, with a long term view to resolving them, particularly where they originate with those early colonial boundaries. Ethnic groups might, of course, need to consider economic sustainability and perhaps agree to unite in the interests of viability.

I’d give the UN a 10 year discussion period with a view to a longer implementation period; we still have thousands of years to survive in this World – it really is about time we invested the next ‘few’ years creating a stable International community.

I did send a note along these lines to Gareth Evans 15 years ago but surprise, no reply; he could now initiate action from the ‘Crisis Group”.
Posted by Beef, Monday, 29 October 2007 1:18:44 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
i'm astonished that your note didn't get results. but in the real world, good ideas are only good when they support the will of the powerful.

i'm sorry to be the one to tell you this, a parent should have discharged the responsibility. did they at least admit santa was fake, and the tooth fairy wouldn't be coming back?
Posted by DEMOS, Monday, 29 October 2007 1:53:15 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Emotional Life of Nations (Lloyd DeMause)?

What I don't understand is why Turkey after all it has been through (historically) would stoop to this length of denial.

I focus on the discrimination of Turks in other countries. (Ethnic struggles for citizenship) Why cant her leaderships, her people understand the discrimation and plight of people (needing the same) in its own society.

The US attitude and interest of the day - doesn't help. The US exacerbates it.

Why does any nation not understand. When will we as a human race evolve.

It is late, I will come back to this, but I am grateful to see this article - I was waiting, and, I was hoping for it.

http://www.miacat.com
Posted by miacat, Tuesday, 30 October 2007 12:54:04 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
This article once again shows the territorial hostilities between ethnic groups(tribes) like Turkey and the Kurds who are prepared to go to war, commit mass ethnic cleansing or not being able to do that in the face of World disapproval to secretly support terrorist assault groups like the PKK rebels to commit acts of war against the other side whilst remaining faceless and unable to be persecuted by world law courts.

When is the West going to wake up to this reality and stop forcing big tribes into the same territory as it did after the world war which have now resulted in the slaughter between the Jews and the Arabs in Palestine and the civil war between the Iraqis and Sunnis and the slaughter and mass gasing of the Kurds by Suddam Hussein.

And still the West sets up mass tribalism in their own territories. When will they ever learn?
Posted by sharkfin, Tuesday, 30 October 2007 10:15:13 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
sharkey, they'll learn as soon as you learn, and not before. no sign of either one so far.

you work, you pay taxes, you legitimize pollies with your vote. as a result, the pm can send gunmen to a foreign land to kill anyone who resists.

so i reckon you are a (very small) part of the problem.
Posted by DEMOS, Wednesday, 31 October 2007 7:24:34 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy