The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Jews and Poverty > Comments

Jews and Poverty : Comments

By Philip Mendes, published 25/10/2007

Despite a widespread stereotype that most Jews are wealthy, as with most poor Australians, poor Jews struggle to find enough money to make ends meet.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
I'm not sure how prevalent this myth is. Proportionally, there are more wealthy, influential jews than there are members of other specific religious/ethnic groups, but of the total number of wealthy people worldwide jews comprise only a minority.

The western world is going through a cycle in which Israel is being criticised more honestly for its actions, and zionists are responding by branding any critic an anti-semite. Perhaps, in this atmosphere, jews are actively looking for old, discredited myths to resurface, and are therefore more sensitive to the charge that "they're all rich", even though it's not made often.
Posted by Sancho, Thursday, 25 October 2007 11:19:02 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Several of my best mates are Jewish and I know from my own experience of their community that many are not rich and stuggle to survive like the rest of the community.

My friends struggle each week to make rent and put food on the table as casual delivery drivers and pensioners, so I try to help them out as much as possible. But they are too proud to seek any financial assistance from me so we mainly meet in their community because they cannot afford petrol to come my side of town.

I think that if both political parties decided to tackle poverty in this country instead of giving out hand outs before we vote, then just maybe Australia might become a better place to live in the future.
Posted by Yindin, Thursday, 25 October 2007 12:25:55 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
We rarely get to read anything about the "poor" in any community. It's usually the rich and famous that attract the media. The fascination with the problems of Paris or Britney or Brad or Angelina, seems to be worldwide. Why? possibly because it sells!
Posted by Foxy, Friday, 26 October 2007 3:24:57 PM
If these are "God's chosen people" why don't the rich share with the poor, as their saviour said? Apparently once you become rich equality is no longer on the horizon, except as an ethereal thought.
Posted by RobbyH, Saturday, 27 October 2007 10:30:28 AM
Prejudice exists everywhere - so stereotyping is a common practice
amongst certain people. Education often helps - though is not always successful. The real challenge is to persuade the news media to listen to voices that challenge their prejudices and preconceptions.
But it won't happen easily, nor without the involvement of many caring people...
Posted by Foxy, Saturday, 27 October 2007 2:05:04 PM
Despite the prevailing idea that those who say they are Jews, are Jews, in fact the only Jewishness about them, when boiled down, is their saying that they are.

That is, the Jewish 'race' has evolved into that which defines itself, and not that which submits to the teachings of its Torah. When you point out to them that they don't obey the laws in their Torah and that they are therefore not really Jews, they answer you with "we'll decide who are Jews and who are not". Accordingly many who today call themselves "Jews" are involved in media productions which advocate, or promote as normal, all sorts of immoral behaviour.

So even if their genealogy could be traced back to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob (which is simply not possible: most 'Jews' cannot trace their lineage back more than a few generations), this would not be sufficient to count them as Jews, for the Jewish race comprises not only lineage, but religion: a conjugate identity delineator.

A discussion over whether Jews are rich or poor is therefore misappropriated unless one first of all discards from the set of "Jews" those who think they are Jews simply because they say they are, and who rationalise away the obligation to obey their Torah as given by Moses.

Here are Moses' words concerning such Torah (law): "Ye shall not add unto the word that I command you, neither shall ye diminish ought from it." (Deut 4:2).
Posted by Liberty, Monday, 29 October 2007 12:28:37 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy