The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > First, find out what works > Comments

First, find out what works : Comments

By Andrew Leigh, published 18/10/2007

Indigenous policymaking could do with a little less rhetoric and a little more acknowledgment of how little we know about what will work.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
What an eminently sensible, rational article.

How could anyone who genuinely wants to see an improvement in the lives of Aborigines possibly disagree?

Unfortunately, the author underestimates the maze of hidden agendas and ulterior motives in the area of Aboriginal welfare and indigenous politics.

There any many people, black and white, who are only interested in seeing their partisan agendas implemented, pretty much regardless of whether they help Aborigines or not. They do not want to see Aborigines helped by measures that don't fit their ideology. You could give these people cast iron proof that say, passive welfare was harmful to Aborigines but the government's mutual obligation program worked and they would still demand the former and decry the latter.
Posted by grn, Thursday, 18 October 2007 1:28:14 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
A great article that was well argued and intelligently written.

So isn't it high time all political parties stopped worrying about poverty overseas,bloody refugees, multi- culturalism, farmers and Ben Cousins and concentrate on solving the issue's surrounding Indigenous disadvantage
Posted by Yindin, Thursday, 18 October 2007 2:27:27 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Mr John Howard, concerning poltical integrity and how you and his Liberal team is reducing Australia's politics to slander, discrimination, vilification and fear mongering.

As our national leader you are encouraging and condoning the practice of workplace bullying.

Elections are not an excuse to act like SCHOOLYARD THUGS. Weather a person one toaded, twisted, deaf, blind or tall, it does not give you the right because you, Abbott and Costello are leaders in power, to use your nasty gang-rise mentality, to beat up on others.

I seriously call a Global Emergency on Mental Health.

I have posted the link below for you.

http://members.aol.com/markr13/FearMongers5.html

Australia has pressing time and a lot to sort out. Help us debate the agenda.

I remember Mr Howard when you broke-down virtually over ABC TV Mr Howard. You were almost crying. The moment was real as we shared your emotinal wellbeing as you considered handing over your LEADERSHIP.

We the Australian's people showed you Mr Howard "empathy" and "respect".

I, as a "miacat" know "I" assisted you to retrain your self-dignity. To grab the ball with both hands and stand up again.

I know I gave example with "Power Navel Grazer" comment helping you and Tony Abbott, and with my "I WANT" dialogue, Mr Costello.

I mind if you abuse others (anyone) just because you think you have the upper hand.

"Australia needs a strong opposition" on ALL SIDES of POLITIC'S.

We need as a nation to culturally "grow up" and put the future of our PLURAL SYSTEM FIRST.

We the public want to be engaged. It is hard enough listening to the short comings of any government ie: Poor Infrastructure: Elderly, Youth, Career's evidence, Indigenous evidence, Refugee evidence, Iraq evidence, record of old GST promises etc.

We are aware of the risks government-wide.

What can you do if you see someone else being bullied?

Answer: If you see someone else being bullied you should always try to stop it. If you do nothing, you're saying that bullying is okay with you.

http://www.miacat.com
Posted by miacat, Thursday, 18 October 2007 2:37:00 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
A well-presented piece, but ignores that fact that by far the best approach is we could possibly harness it, is individualised assistance. Whenever a one-size-fits-all approach is used you will have losers. I reckon one of the best places to start is with school truants that do something productive (or potentially productive) when not at school. Whenever you find a kid with an interest in something that doesnt involve alcohol or drugs, we should do all we can to encourage it, and use the interest to encourage further education (and traditional education may not be the answer, at least for a while). One little kid springs to mind as I write this. A 6yo boy, who constantly skipped school, but didnt run away home. Instead he spent his days with the white men of the community whilst they were at work. Hanging around shops, asking questions, going for truck rides, going droving etc. Heck, hed be gone for a week at a time, and no family ever came forward questioning where he was. But this was a kid with an interest in learning, just not learning from books. He could have gone places, but there was no "program" to help him, only the good nature of the men (and women I might add) that took him under their wing, all the while risking all kinds of accusations.
Posted by Country Gal, Monday, 22 October 2007 1:10:19 PM
Country Gal, your posts are full of truths and I read them always with great interest, but?
While agreeing schools for aboriginal folk need change I would hardly think leaving school for adventure, even adventure that educates is the way to go, in todays world.
Have I misread your post?
fluff4
Posted by fluff4, Tuesday, 23 October 2007 10:33:17 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy