The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > WorkChoices - not so good: Fair Work Australia - frightening! > Comments

WorkChoices - not so good: Fair Work Australia - frightening! : Comments

By Des Moore, published 10/10/2007

Whichever party is elected the outcome on workplace relations will be retrograde.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
By what I see from this article this person has said that deregulation of the workplace is in the best interests and will provide better outcomes between employer and employee.

We see that Liberals have given the safety net, which gives the employee safety but also gives the employer a standard.

We also see that labor and the unions have limited the role of an employee that they have restrictions on what they can do, thus bringing in the role of the unions.
One has to ask about this, is it for the employee, or is it just for union membership and to recreate the union power base, which gives no respect the capacity of the individual employee.

What is also said is about industrial action and as the unions find that this is not important unless of course it can gain them coverage, they are still denying a proper service as those members who pay fees seem to be getting less and less and has been pointed out on OLO many a time.

We also see that when it comes to elections these unions then go quiet and distance themselves to anything that may be damaging to the labor party.

Work choices as I have been told and seen has been beneficial as having spoken to bosses and workers non union, and they have said if it wasn’t for the unfair dismissal laws and AWA’s then they would not have been able to employ extra staff.

Therefore, what we see is a fight between those in the unions and those who want a job but now those who have are now looking down a barrel and are unsure whether they will have a job once labor gets in.

More to follow
Posted by tapp, Friday, 12 October 2007 9:49:28 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
People want to work but if employers cannot afford them especially in small business then they cannot employ them. If like the labor party who buys there stuff from overseas, this tells you that it is about cost and if the cost become too high them Australian businesses will go under.

If an employer can sell their goods due to being able to deal better with the employee then that is better. So when it comes down to it , you either believe what the unions and labor tells you or you can see if an employer cannot sell their goods then something has to give and normally it is small business.

What we have found is the unions, labor place their spin about the meat workers, and then Kevin Rudd’s wife’s company and these are used to sensationalize this view. We find the employers of these companies that did wrong just like spotlight, you will find that the large companies who have shareholders are trying to rort the system but being court.

The choice is really up to you and what you believe and you do not have to believe a word I say and that is ok so my views and what I see and think.

Jobs are not about these parties or unions, these organizations have their place but ultimately it is the workers and bosses who have to nut this out and from this greater flexibility and hopefully respect.

It is noted that people keep talking about more money and that is ok but then your goods will go up and then somebody else will get a rise and their goods will go up and it will keep going.
One thing I do need to ask is when there is a pay rise, do union fees go up as well.

Please comment and those from the unions and labor who will most likely bully their way as usual I will answer your questions.

Stuart

Stuart Ulrich
Independent Candidate for Charlton

I will not be able to post again until 9.50 pm saturday night
Posted by tapp, Friday, 12 October 2007 9:52:19 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The fact that the unemployment has plumbed new lows would indicate that market flexibility has helped many formally unemployable people find gainful employment rather than relying on centrelink. This is compared to a handful of lower skilled employees who have fallen foul of unscrupulous employers (who also existed before work choices).

This sudden demand for manpower will shortly ensure that even the lower skilled employees are able to shop around for employment, thus improving their income and work conditions.

This helps all of us too, as there will be far less people on the dole and more taxpayers to share the burden.

Reversing AWAs will ensure that large numbers of those being "exploited" will be free of exploitation on welfare, as the cost of employing lower skilled workers is greatly increased
Posted by Shadow Minister, Monday, 15 October 2007 1:31:33 PM
All these comments are all very well, but........

One has to look at the statistics (as always). It is a fact that, during the Howard government's reign, the ABS statistics have been distorted (thanks, I believe, to none other than Joe Hockey).

These days, one is "employed" (i.e. has a job) if one has paid work for at least ONE HOUR PER WEEK !

I ask you, is that a job? Would that sustain yourself, let alone your family as well. Never mind, that is John Howard's concept of employment... and that is how he is able to tell us the lies about the rising "employment" rate.

Go figure !
Posted by Iluvatar, Monday, 15 October 2007 1:44:15 PM
Shadow Minister,

The primary driver behind employment at the moment is the mining boom, not work choices. It's also far more than a handful of employees who are on AWAs and disadvantaged. This study on Work Choices (first of its kind) that has some interesting results:

http://www.usyd.edu.au/news/84.html?newsstoryid=1967

"This sudden demand for manpower will shortly ensure that even the lower skilled employees are able to shop around for employment, thus improving their income and work conditions."

Work Choices isn't suddenly going to make working conditions that were uneconomical suddenly become economical. Yes, the market will eventually reach some equilibrium, but that level will be well below what has previously been acceptable. As it is, a business that can sustainably pay employees a reasonable amount will be better able to expand when at least some people are actively looking for work.

"This helps all of us too, as there will be far less people on the dole and more taxpayers to share the burden."

Nobody likes the ideal of someone sitting around sucking on the tax payer teat. However it's a more efficient way of running things rather than having the huge social cost of having significant numbers of employed people working 60+ hours a week and yet still being well below the poverty line.

Iluvatar raises a good point about the employment statistics too.
Posted by Desipis, Monday, 15 October 2007 1:59:19 PM
Australia @ Work Report.

For those interested "opinionators" who have time to read the report, go here:

http://www.smh.com.au/pdf/Australia@Work%20The%20Benchmark%20Report.pdf

Happy pre-election reading !
Posted by Iluvatar, Monday, 15 October 2007 2:19:39 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy