The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > WorkChoices - not so good: Fair Work Australia - frightening! > Comments

WorkChoices - not so good: Fair Work Australia - frightening! : Comments

By Des Moore, published 10/10/2007

Whichever party is elected the outcome on workplace relations will be retrograde.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
Now what i have to laugh at is you people have a choice to ensure accountability but what happens, we must vote labor,liberal,greens family first and so on.

So really who have we got to blame ourselves.

If you dont like my passion and being honest stiff thats how i am.

You create you enjoy.

You have a choice.

Stuart Ulrich
Independent Candidate for Charlton
swulrich@bigpond.net.au
Posted by tapp, Thursday, 11 October 2007 7:48:14 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Its good to see an independant candidate posting a comment on this page, but the candidate for charlton failed to point out his views on the current topic or who his preferences will be given to.
Posted by gypsy, Thursday, 11 October 2007 8:07:57 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I do apologise for that and I will comment once i have fully read the complete article.

Now preference well that is up to you.
As being an independent it is just multiple choice so that choice is yours.
If i could preference the people on every spot I would as that is who is important not these parties.

Will comment tommorow with a good response which will be my own veiws and not those of a party.
Anyone for cardboard candidates, These are those who are only there for their parties and not the people.

Stuart Ulrich
Independent For Charlton
swulrich@bigpond.net.au
Posted by tapp, Thursday, 11 October 2007 8:18:11 PM
I look forward to Stuart Ulrichs comment. Hopefully he is a man of integrity, a man who will do his utmost to help all in his electorat.
Australia needs honest politicicians who will do all in their power to change unfair legislations such as the I.R. reforms which only hurt the vast majority of everyday workers.
Do we need more immigration to bolster the workforce of Australia?
Immigration should cease immediately for the following:
Our water resourses are at an all time low with no end in sight.
Bringing more immigrants into the country on work visas only leads to using more of our depleting water from the dams.
Enables employers to take away employees conditions which our forefathers fought hard to gain, often at a sacrifice.
Posted by gypsy, Friday, 12 October 2007 6:50:04 AM
I realise this is an online OPINION forum, but where are the facts and research to back up any of the assertions in this article?

"True, there has been some reduction in labour market regulation in recent years including under WorkChoices since March 2006. That has undoubtedly contributed to the fall in unemployment from 5.0 per cent to 4.3 per cent (in June) and increase in employment of over 360,000, (or about 3.7 per cent)."

Undoubtedly? Really, there is plenty of doubt because the author has made it up out of thin air.

The author acknowledges that low-skilled workers will recieve significantly lower compensation because he believes that is all they deserve. Australia should not be a country where we have slums, homelessness, starvation and poverty. Competing with China's labour force will simply send us into this sort of downward spiral. A truly free international labour market opens up our country to free immigration where our jobs can literally be taken by those very same Chinese, then we will see how little even skilled jobs will be worth in a free market. This is not likely to happen, but is the extreme of what the author is advocating here.

Better to keep laws which protect all the citizens of this nation, minimum wage guaratees and penalty rates that allow us to be a society of humans not a economy of human resources. If businesses pay their workers a bit more, they find that their customers have a bit more to spend.
Posted by JPH, Friday, 12 October 2007 11:47:31 AM
"If businesses pay their workers a bit more, they find that their customers have a bit more to spend."

Precisely the point I have made several times here already, and that Henry Ford realised nearly 100 years ago. On its own this should be sufficient reason for employers to pay employees well. But it's a classic scenario where each individual business pursuing its own self-interest (trying to increase profits by cutting the pay of its own employees) leads to a result that is worse for everyone, something that laissez-faire-ists like Mr Moore appear to believe can never happen.
Posted by wizofaus, Friday, 12 October 2007 12:03:29 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy