The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Daylight saving beyond the fading curtains > Comments

Daylight saving beyond the fading curtains : Comments

By John Ridd, published 20/9/2007

There are some very good reasons not to introduce daylight saving in Queensland.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Sir, Many thanks for a most informative article. However, like you, I despair of those who can not perform simple addition and subtraction; your article would be far "too hard" for them.
Posted by Johnno, Thursday, 20 September 2007 10:15:40 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The term "Daylight Saving" is itself a gross misrepresentation loaded with spin. The correct term is clock molestation. and it is favoured by the kind of sad plodders who feel an overwhelming desire to have their bowel movements in sync with people in Sydney and Melbourne. That is their choice but they have no right to impose their pathetic psychological crutches on those of us who are not so emotionally encumbered.

And it begs the question, how many time zones are there in Europe? And what evidence is there that the mass movement of tourists and multifold business interactions are disadvantaged by these time zones. Answer - ZIPPO.

But perversely, I do look forward to the day when compulsory clock molestation is imposed on regional Queensland. For that act will mark the beginning of the end of a single state. It will speed up the day when the South East goes its own congested way leaving the real Queensland to manage its own destiny, in its own regional parliaments, free of metrocrap.
Posted by Perseus, Thursday, 20 September 2007 10:43:31 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Ah, how my mind’s curtains get faded by erudite arguments over “daylight saving’. Faded to limp lassitude, brought on by the sophisticated precession and nutation of semantics.

Cobblers to all the high-falutin arguments.

Putting it plainly and simply: I don’t like “daylight saving” because it initiates a warmed-ant-nest activity of otherwise dormant humans at the wrong time. Just at the height of nature’s quiet greeting of the coming day. Ah the satisfaction in the days when that was my sole companion! Hmm, a bit like sex, I suppose.

Daylight saving ruins such soulful peace by forcing upon us a Bulldogs’ bonding session type of communal activity at a time while nature is at its best. Just for the purpose of loading one end of the daily see-saw of working hours. Thereby shuffling all our smelly bodies together, where it was previously avoidable. And what does such heavy cost enable? – maybe enhanced attendance for supplication at the local Presbyterian Kirk or Islamic Mosque. Heaven forbid, perhaps even to spreading the cheeks over seats at some football/cricket gladiatorial event.

Save on daylight? Get up at dawn, retire at dusk.
Otherwise, just don’t impose upon the social proclivities of others. Nothing complex about it.
Posted by colinsett, Thursday, 20 September 2007 11:21:25 AM
I am in agreement with the author, based on recent West Australian experience. In the West we are in the process of having to endure a three year trial of so called “daylight saving.” The state parliament voted for it to help two disgruntled politician one from the labour side and one liberal. Therefore in my terminology this infliction should be nominated, “politicians time.”

The amount of daylight is dictated by geography specifically; latitude and longitude and of course time of year. Longitude has determined that local Perth time is always 20 minutes in front of zone time. At latitude 32° S mornings become dark when “politician time” starts. The wonderful early mornings are lost. The late afternoon and evenings drag on. If one enjoys the evening meal when sun those goes down, (as I do). Late meal time is immediately followed by bed time.

Even more so, the late afternoons and evenings are usually the hottest part of day. How does the Carpenter Labour Government respond to this misery? Why by advising their citizens to voluntary switch off air conditioner use between 3.0 pm and 6.0 pm. The state is short of power. If the Labour people supported by the Greens had there would be a mandatory ban on air-conditioners. I suspect the daylight saving enthusiasts in WA have never heard of death from hyperthermia. In the interest of economy and saving electric power “politician time “ought to be abandoned.

It is beyond the intellectual capacity of our labour politicians to understand that piddle power, sorry green power, will never meet the power requirements of a modern industrial society. But the overwhelming argument in favour of nuclear power is an argument for another day.
Posted by anti-green, Thursday, 20 September 2007 1:53:35 PM
Anti green has put the case nicely. Despite referendums showing that the majority hated Daylight saving and wanted nothing to do with it , the state Labor Government decided otherwise.
You must realise that if you elect a dictatorial government ,you have no say, referendum or no referendum.

The Dictator says;"No!"
Posted by mickijo, Thursday, 20 September 2007 3:30:24 PM
In NZ, one could still read a newspaper outside at 10pm (in Invercargill). In Auckland, the daylight saving (DLS) meant a little more 'warm' (if it is possible) evening hours to do something after work. Over there I remember heading off to school in the dark and it was 7.30am plus. I am an Aussie born kiwi.
In Australia, I miss DLS. I do some night shift work as a nurse. In the height of summer it is broad daylight at 4.30am (what a waste). I do see the argument for most of QLD to stay without DLS BUT I feel there is a real good cause, if only for businesses, that DLS be introduced on a trial for the S.E corner. I believe something of the Gold Coast 'converts' as it is, because of Sydney business links. S.E corner ought to try DSL or at least another referendum take place. The latter probably will not happen again.
Posted by Cakers, Thursday, 20 September 2007 4:16:30 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy