The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Still wanted; still in the best interests > Comments

Still wanted; still in the best interests : Comments

By Graham Young, published 11/9/2007

It would be madness to depose Howard at this stage in the electoral cycle.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
Ginx, if I wasn't a classical liberal, then you'd probably have much more interventionist moderation. I think it's my philosophical point of view, which is allied to my political views, that makes OLO possible.

In any event, moderation on this site is generally about flaming, or occassionally potential breaches of the law. Not much there of a political nature.
Posted by GrahamY, Wednesday, 12 September 2007 3:20:22 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Back on Topic:-

It was interesting to hear Howard tonight answer a curly one from Kerry O'Brien on the 7.30 Report.

The gist of KO's question was that 'So PM, Australians will be voting for 2 Prime Ministers. (in reference to Rodents earlier statement about not lasting the full term and Costello taking over)

Some observations:

1. I can't see Howard sitting in the backbenches should he step down.
2. People in Bennelong will not want to vote again in a bi-election.
3. Costello will not wait for Howard to step down should they win - he will be very eager to take on the leadership ASAP.

How Labor campaigns directly to these and other frailties in Howard's integrity will be crucial.

Issues of policy will have an impact on the swinging vote, but never before has Howard had to face the electorate where his own personal virtues will be tested.

No amount of future speaking and promises of fixing - will curtail an electorate hell bent on change for the sake of it.

Howard cannot promise future prosperity on the basis of the past. Crystal ball politics are out. The real test will be how Howard speaks to the present and quite frankly he has very little room to move here at all.
Posted by Rainier, Wednesday, 12 September 2007 9:25:19 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Rainer,when you use logic and well phrased sentences as above,it enhances your persona and argument.Why not dispense with this angry bile and do this more often?
Posted by Arjay, Wednesday, 12 September 2007 11:24:55 PM
There you go Graham. Howard's survived the "coup" though it's hard to make a comeback when you haven't been anywhere.

Who was it who said?: "In war you can only be killed once, but in politics, you can be killed many times"

Now the voters will move in to efficiently assassinate Howard, come polling day. Had Costello replaced him, it would have taken the concentration off Mr McGoo. Bad move by the neo-cons!

The public will do doubt relish getting even with John for his hegemon and zero tolerance of dissenters, his zest for cultivating positions for his powerful friends and not least, his pathetic and destructive ecological engineering.

Perhaps it's the fifties revisited when the brilliant orator, Robert Menzies PM sold our uranium to the British and then happily allowed its return by surrendering our lands to radioactive desolation from the imperialists, detonating their atomic bombs on Australian soil where one seismic event recorded 1200 kilometres away in Southern Cross, WA and no discussion with cabinet or even parliament.

But we've all come of age since then haven't we, with the exception of the rock apes rattling their cages of course!

Howard and his shop-soiled team are more ready for evil than good, but perhaps voters will ensure that the Howard Inc. are about to run out of places to bury their dung.
Posted by dickie, Wednesday, 12 September 2007 11:56:36 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The ALP truly understands John Howard is a very good politician, believe me he is.
He can at the drop of a hat straighten his small wee shoulders and look statesman like.
Some people fall for that.
But he is indeed past his use by date, I understand if elected the ALP will in time be replaced.
About ten years is my view before another conservative cabinet sits in Canberra.
However it may take 20! Costello can not swap his sneer for a smile, not in ten years.
Those tainted by AWB and so very much more are not leaders for the next election.
It is time for a new leader now, yes a pass the ball that has him/her washing the mud out of the eyes for weeks but much needed.
See as Howard plans to redraft, [is it a core promise] workchoices the next leader must say sorry we got it wrong.
Much the same will have to be said about the climate change denials, Iraq, so very much more.
The states and now the federal government is it not true this country, for a time is rejecting conservatives?
Posted by Belly, Thursday, 13 September 2007 6:22:12 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Howard should not be deposed he should face the people to be judged on his performance. It is he and his government you have been responsible for the hidden poverty, a loss of real income of 30% under Workchoices, he should stand to be responsible for what he has done. The voters will use a sinister weapon [to Howard] with which to pass his sentence.....
democracy.
Posted by SHONGA, Thursday, 13 September 2007 9:36:34 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy