The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The Australian Christian political lobby comes of age > Comments

The Australian Christian political lobby comes of age : Comments

By Rod Benson, published 3/9/2007

Christian views and Christian voters are being taken seriously by politicians. The federal election will be fought around policies and ideals shaped by religious communities.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 8
  7. 9
  8. 10
  9. Page 11
  10. 12
  11. All
Yes certainly Boaz accusing people of being born in sin is definetely preaching hatred and villifying all people. All else that follows out of such a hateful philosophy can not be good by any standard.

We tolerate such rubbish because some our ancestors went through a period during an age of ignorance and moral decline who believed in such superstitious nonesense. Hollywood and the media has painted the cult of Christ as something soft and cuddly but in reality it is far from the truth. Much of this is to do with sentimentality which is part of American culture , part is due to corruption within the media , part of it is due to ignorance of the media. Part of it is due to the ignorance of Christians of their own history and their own political groups.

Choose between a muslim and a Christian world , there is no difference it is like chosing between star trek and Next generation, for the non fans the idea is ridiculous at best.

To be ruled by a Christian government will result as it has always done Christian , Muslim or any religion , it always results in persecution and violence.

Those who know nothing of god are the ones that believe in him.
Posted by West, Friday, 21 September 2007 7:58:30 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Typically, those who have come to slag religion, especially Christianity, are unable to see how similar the language of their posts are to the religionists. Change the names and nobody would know the difference.

In my view there is no place for a Christian lobby at the government trough but, then again, I don't believe any lobbyist should be receiving government largess. Any generosity of government should be returned to "the people" in services, not to any "friends of government".

Your sex, your religion, your ethnicity, your culture, your business, or your personal agenda should not afford you any more than "the people" in general. Government should be blind to sex, religion, ethnicity, culture, business or personal agendas, and should never use any of those elements as grounds for making policy or public expenditure.
Posted by aqvarivs, Friday, 21 September 2007 10:26:25 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi there Opinionated,... ok..this is what I would call progress...

At least we are getting to some challengable specifics.

CLAIM "Iraq is developing WMD's which could threaten the West"

MY COMMENT: I both agree and disagree with this. I highly doubt that Sadaam would have tried to undermine or attack the West using such weapons.. but that is purely my opinion. The important thing I wish to point out here.. is that contrary to the leftist 7fold amen of 'They did not exist' I offer to you this report, for your consideration.
http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewSpecialReports.asp?Page=%5CSpecialReports%5Carchive%5C200602%5CSPE20060202a.html
Now.. you can make of that what you will, but I feel it is just as valid, probably more so, than the reports that they did not exist. In fact this report EXPLAINS why none were found....which is much different from 'They did not exist'.

COMMENT..I think the whole issue was used as a justification for other strategically crucial issues which would not get far in the public arena of a democracy.

WEST... I have not called for a Christian government, and its nice that you and I finally agree on something :)

PERICLES.. sidestep eh ? hmmm... no.. just speak-a-da-truth... I simply emphasise that a person claiming to be Christian does not make them one.. and you used one incorrect word on your post.
"Thus the ARE Christian", nope.. the truth is "Thus they will be REGARDED as Christian"

The fruit.. is what you know a true and a false christian by.
Good fruit... probably Christian
Bad fruit.... cannot be.
Speaking of course in the most general and broad sense. Individual Christians can be quite passionately and vigorously 'right' in their own minds when it comes to church politiking..and the row between Paul and Barnabus is a classic example. (over whether to take John Mark with them... JM Happened to be Barnabas' nephew :)
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?book_id=51&chapter=15&version=31
Acts 15 v 36-39
Posted by BOAZ_David, Saturday, 22 September 2007 2:49:16 PM
I agree with you aqvarvis but you must appreciate that as a non Christian I would possibly be amongst the first to be executed by a Christian Party in power for not agreeing with the moral assertions of the group. Far fetched? In Morrocco and Afghanistan Muslims are and were executed for converting to other religions or becoming atheists. Not so long ago Jews were forced into Catholicism and then had their faith questioned and faced the death penalty. Not so much longer than that many people were executed as witches for a whole range of religious reasons. In their party launch Family First asserted lesbians should be burnt as witches. In the U.S religious based racist groups are still pushing 17th century theories on race.

As lobby groups go the threat to human life and social peace that Christian lobby groups pose should be taken into account.As a Non Christian I cannot see any difference between the what Al Quieda demands and What many other religious groups demand , they all demand that non-believers follow their vrules.
As Christianity is wrong in all its assertions of morality and its own righteousness and its own history and its readiness to deny real facts including history , I cannot suggest it is a group that should be trusted to provide political input.

I say again people should be free in what they believe as long as they leave all others out of it.
Posted by West, Saturday, 22 September 2007 5:17:14 PM
Well that makes a change, Boaz.

Me: "when you come across a Christian or a Muslim that spouts vitriol in the name of their religion, bear in mind that they represent only themselves, and not the religion at large."

Boaz: "The fruit.. is what you know a true and a false christian by. Good fruit... probably Christian. Bad fruit.... cannot be. Speaking of course in the most general and broad sense."

I think that means we agree. Unusual, what?

Would it be too much to ask for you to apply the same rules to Muslims? Good fruit... good Muslim. Bad fruit... possible terrorist?

Too much? Thought so.

And you ought to know by now that taking notice of right-wing apologist organizations such as CNSNews is equally brain-numbing as giving credence to their rabid leftist counterparts - you have to take each with a liberal dose of salt.

Interestingly, your WMD article dates from more than eighteen months ago, and has never been corroborated or expanded upon. Given that it espouses a view that President Bush would simply love to have confirmed, don't you think that it is a little odd that nothing more was heard...?

No? Didn't think so.
Posted by Pericles, Saturday, 22 September 2007 5:26:58 PM
Perilous...where the heck have you been for the past 3 yrs.. that has ALWAYS been my position on Muslims.

I have never condemned ALL Muslims.. I have condemned "Islam".. in the full knowledge that not all Muslims have the same understanding... of their own faith...and I have specifically singled out 'RADICAL' Muslims for 'special treatment'.....

I think I have the runs on the board here..

later..
Posted by BOAZ_David, Sunday, 23 September 2007 9:42:49 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 8
  7. 9
  8. 10
  9. Page 11
  10. 12
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy