The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Recommitting to multiculturalism > Comments

Recommitting to multiculturalism : Comments

By Tom Calma, published 22/8/2007

Reinvigorating multiculturalism is not just an option, it is a necessity for a healthy, functioning democracy.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 27
  11. 28
  12. 29
  13. All
its edifying to see the mono culturalists still trying to work out why they don't fit in anywhere..LOL
Posted by Rainier, Wednesday, 22 August 2007 7:55:28 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Those who are selectively using Putnam's research to support their anti-MC views should pay heed to his conclusion:

"successful immigrant societies have overcome such fragmentation by creating new cross-cutting forms of social solidarity and more encompassing identities."

In other words - in the short term, some people are uncomfortable with living alongside others from different cultures; but in the longer-term we wind up with a richer and stronger culture through diversity.

It is exactly those new cross-cutting forms of social solidarity and more encompassing identities that many of us value so highly in Australia’s successful multi-cultural society. In comparison, monocultures are boring, sterile, inflexible and insular.
Posted by Rhian, Wednesday, 22 August 2007 8:27:48 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Rhian

I read a book on Happiness last year "Happiness, lessons from a new science". In there was reference to research which demonstrated that in most countries which had been surveyed the majority of people wanted to live in a homogeneous society as opposed to a multicultural one. There was no country where the majority wished for a multicultural one.
Posted by ozzie, Wednesday, 22 August 2007 8:33:33 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The policy of the Howard Govt re funding religion based new schools is fostering and encouraging multi-culturalism, another word for which is separitism-v- assimilation. It took us Catholics until, I think, about 1966, some 150 years, to get any funding for our schools - and then Menzies gave us some money for science labs. Prior to that we Catholics paid for construction and instruction.

The Orthodox went to Greek School after school hours and the Protestants went to Sunday School and we went to mass - but our hours were longer than State Schools.

There is only one way for Australia to remain a nation committed to the ideals of separation of religion and government, and that is for the Federal Government to lead the way in supporting our great egalitarian State School system (and its now proven integrated Catholic school adjunct) with its emphasis on citizenship. With religious instruction for all the various faiths under the direction of the parents - after hours or bring back Sunday School.
Posted by hijacked, Wednesday, 22 August 2007 8:35:56 PM
BOAZ_David:

"... nothing personal mate," you say, but since I have views you disagree with, I'm a 'MCnazi'. Nothing personal David; it's just a power game for you.

And while having the temerity to ask me what I think about Steven's 'evidence' (i.e. selective quotes from one article) you then boast about your preferred approach - "Sledge Hammer and Headline".

The issue for you, in your words has never been about "Common sense, Clear evidence or Self evident truths..." For you, the issue is "our way or the highway".

In other words, you are not interested in the truth or reasoning or ethical argument. It's just a matter of who's got the biggest weapon and the loudest voice, then.

What are you doing on OLO? It's much too intellectual and sensitive for you, David. I can think of other blogs that would suit your philosophy much better. Why don't you take your knuckle dusters and big lungs over there?
Posted by FrankGol, Wednesday, 22 August 2007 9:08:28 PM
Few Australians object to anyone coming here and integrating into society. What many object to (as seen by the 1 million who voted for Pauline) is for immigrants to bring their own countries problems and reproduce them here. It is amazing how silent many feminist are when it comes to the appalling treatment of women by Muslims. Most Australians want selective immigration (not on the basis of colour) but on the basis of some common values (ie freedom of religion or non religion). Just wait for the next outbreak in the Middle East and see how many who have returned home while still collecting welfare and will demand our Government rescue them. How dumb are we?
Posted by runner, Wednesday, 22 August 2007 9:25:02 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 27
  11. 28
  12. 29