The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Giving good face > Comments

Giving good face : Comments

By Binoy Kampmark, published 17/8/2007

What Jeremy Bentham and Facebook have in common: we like surveillance; we like accountability, so we like people watched.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
Wow...either this article is a satire or we have another author who is completely out of touch with the reality of the internet and information age.

The comments about the 'poke' function on facebook have brought tears to my eyes....hilarious...you can almost see a Mr Bean episode about it..
Posted by Grey, Friday, 17 August 2007 9:25:01 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Brilliant and erudite. Not quite sure whether it is serious or fun though. I think the allusion fails because those who submit themselves to the poking of the internet do not necessarily submit themselves. Prisoners or students in Bentham's panoptican did not have this option.
Personally I think privacy is too costly a privilege. Just think of the human advance if the total of our genetic, dietary, medical, and family histories were able to be fed into a huge multivariate algorithm. What correlations of connections would emerge? What possibilities for analyses to advance our understandings of human health and happiness!
Posted by Fencepost, Friday, 17 August 2007 7:45:43 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy