The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Mission control: the press gallery squeezed by media-savvy politicians > Comments

Mission control: the press gallery squeezed by media-savvy politicians : Comments

By Helen Ester, published 10/8/2007

The trend to devalue and avoid the critical expertise of the press gallery does not bode well for the future of political journalism.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
Does this come as a surprise to anyone nowadays? The situation described by the author clearly dewmonstrates that Howard and his cronies, but especially Howard, are so paranois about the public finding out what they're up to that it borders on the pathological. How dangerous is it to our democracy to have a Prime Minister not quite as mad as Joe Stalin? The use of the AFP to control the flow of information to journalists, thye harrassment of journalists through the courts etc etc borders on the neo Fascist. Thank God we only have to put up with this Orwellian behaviour fror a few more monthsd - I hope.
Posted by SANE, Friday, 10 August 2007 10:42:31 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
SANE,

The tragic thing is that Labor has not shown any real commitment to opening up the processes.

Remember they are playing the "More Socially concious" conservatives card.
Posted by James Purser, Friday, 10 August 2007 10:48:59 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Is it no wonder that the electorate no longer trusts "Little Johnny" and his cohorts when the watchdogs of the press are not only unable to do their jobs effectively, but are also severely punished when they do?

The AFP has too much power. While GW and his mates are here, the youth of Sydney would do us all a favour by leaving unidentified brown paper parcels all over the city to give them something to occupy their time with wild goose chases.
Posted by VK3AUU, Friday, 10 August 2007 11:49:05 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
i wonder if ozzies will wake up before we get to the 'gas chamber' level of dictatorship? on present evidence, no.

folk's, it's not john howard, it's parliamentary rule. there's nothing in oz law or custom or culture to stop pollies from doing what they like. people are constantly remarking on how much kevvie subscribes to howard's ideas on police power, while hoping he will be different. talk about bunnies froze in front of headlights...

it began with 'anti-terror laws', and has moved on to 'anti-government embarrassment laws', can you see where the pollies are heading? i was consoling myself that the government didn't have the military presence to enforce control of the public, and then johnny suggests what a good idea to take the queen's shilling would be for young people. just a coincidence, probably.
Posted by DEMOS, Friday, 10 August 2007 3:39:10 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I have often wondered.
Is John Howard a facist.
Conservative?...Yes;
Radical?.............Yes;
Paranoid?...........Yes;
Paranoid radical conservative = FACIST
After reading this all my fears are confirmed.
This site is also facist it alters the way I want my response to look
and edits my language i.e. w@nker is not accepable but bastard is?
Posted by alanpoi, Friday, 10 August 2007 6:44:19 PM
It would be a change to see those media bloodhounds maintain the same dedication that they displayed when reporting on the Pasha Bulker. The whole episode became quite de trop. Our journalists, in their quest to portray the level of corruption and political interference might explore why a high court judge hasn’t been removed from the bench. How ‘bout interviewing his fellow judges? Are they troubled by the fact that a law breaker occupies the position of high court judge? What does it do to the standing of the High Court? How ‘bout reporting on the inaction of the government and opposition over this matter. Interview the GG. Is he concerned that a law breaker sits on the high court judging others? Our bloodhounds could then move on and explore the reasons why a FNQ MP can own a fifty percent share of a concreting company, see that company bid for and win a $175,000 yet avoid getting the punt. Oh, that’s right he forgot to declare his directorship. He was only doing a mate a favour. Did he forget to pick up his share of the $175,000? Follow the money. The company would have details about its bank and how the $175,000 was split up. Why not question this MP’s colleagues. Interview them all. Ask the GG is he concerned about the conduct of this MP.

Instead we get Laurie cuddling his clip-board close to his chest as he asks Kevin if he had dinner with big bad Brian in WA; Juanita in that beguiling pose as she cocks an eyebrow; and of course Sandra in her push-up bra trying to control her mammaries as they threaten to escape.

Real journalism is all too hard. I honestly think that in about 2 years from now the Korean captain of the Pasha Bulker will be accosted by Mike Monroe who will burst out of the shadows and say to the captain: Captain of the Pasha Bulker….This is Your Life. Through the wonders of modern television we’ll be reintroduced to each member of the crew of that hapless vessel. Real news.
Posted by Sage, Friday, 10 August 2007 8:06:58 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy