The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > It’s time to privatise the ABC > Comments

It’s time to privatise the ABC : Comments

By Felicity McMahon, published 8/8/2007

We have a national broadcaster that is the mouthpiece of the left for which all taxpayers are forced to foot the bill.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. ...
  11. 14
  12. 15
  13. 16
  14. All
I watch the ABC almost exclusively.
Why?
NO ADVERTISING!
Posted by Ponder, Wednesday, 8 August 2007 11:36:27 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Firstly I do not understand how privatizing the ABC is in any way a solution to the perceived problem highlighted by Felicity.

According to this logic should we all be concerned with selling Australian Government departments when we perceive them to have a problem? I assume not hence I must have missed something in the argument.

Oh, the logic must be that since a perceived left wing institution is being paid for by tax dollars, voters of all persuasions are footing the bill.

According to this logic I would like to stop paying for private schools, stop all political ads that are fear based emotional taunts unrelated to reality (an insult to anyone who is remotely educated), stop paying for the slaughter of afghans, stop paying for the slaughter of Iraqi’s, give all scientists and business people in Australia the goal of developing the technology and solutions which will make Australia the most sustainable country on the planet just for the fun of it (Australians can achieve anything they want if they set their minds to it).

If we can make ad hoc solutions to our perceived problems may I suggest an equivalent of the Reserve Bank for “Democratic Integrity”. This department would be independent of all political influences and its sole purpose would be to maintain high alert to any actions by any government of the day that erode any aspect of a healthy and strong democracy. (and if the ABC was being biased they would pick it up, and probably scold them for not allowing and airing rigorous debate on controversial issues)

This department would also be on alert for deceptive marketing by political parties. Example when The Liberal Party promises to keep interest rates low the department officials from the office of Democratic Integrity would get very excited. Since the interest rate is set by the Reserve Bank and independently of the government of the day, a claim to “keep interest rates low” would have to mean the government has invented a new mechanism for influencing interest rates, and the appropriate officials would investigate this bold claim
Posted by David Collett, Wednesday, 8 August 2007 11:41:43 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Another example of shooting the messenger.
This piece is so full of half-truths and biases of its own it's hard to know where to begin.

While the ABC is funded by taxpayers, the so-called free media is funded indirectly by consumers but without the benefit of monitoring for bias. I'm certain that we are paying more than "eight cents per day" for all the other radio and TV networks in the country, whether we use them or not.

Valid criticism or commentary is not bias.

I recall that Neville Wran was no fan of the ABC and Keating/Hawke were also under constant siege during their time in power.

I see no mention of the ABC commentators who went onto careers in commercial media or conservative politics.
Despite stacking the ABC Board with government cronies, criticism still gets through because it may just be valid.

Why not address the substance of the criticism or perceived bias itself instead of speaking in generalities?

Perhaps it's the audience who are biased. Wasn't there a "conservative" radio programme put to air on Radio National a while back but failed due to poor ratings?

Selling the ABC is unlikely anyway because the rest of the media would resist it.
The limited advertising dollar would have to be spread over yet another network and diminish their own revenue so I can't see them pushing for a sale. Besides, they provide a handy public distraction from their own self-interested efforts.

Perhaps Rupert Murdoch could buy it outright and then all hints of bias would miraculously disappear. Maybe a phone-poll will provide an intelligent resolution to this dilemma.
Posted by wobbles, Wednesday, 8 August 2007 11:47:50 AM
G'day there

Yes, I too thought I'd heard all this somewhere before and it jogged my memory of listening to the radio out in the tractor whilst doing some real work.

Ms McMahon kindly flagged it in her first line "Recently, the ABC made a good case for its own privatisation." The ABC very much did. It was during the very first edition of Michael Duffy's presentation of the occasionally enjoyable "Counterpoint" program on Radio National back in May 2004. In the transcript you'll find a better assembly of ideas than Ms McMahon's pieced together in her own time, together with comments by Peter Morgan, Jane Caro, Alan Moran, Tony Moore and some callers.

The advert-free web address is at:
http://www.abc.net.au/rn/counterpoint/stories/2004/1111283.htm

While I don't agree with many of Mr Duffy's ideas at 4pm Monday arvos, I do admire and thank him for having the nous to publish "He Died with a Felafel in His Hand" which I once adapted for the stage and performed in at Ms McMahon's University many years ago. It's a shame that not a single new idea was put forward by her article, which incidentally, is a bit like our adaptation of "Felafel".

But then again unlike Ms McMahon's piece, we did have the good taste to attribute our source.

It's obvious this author's intention isn't to promote new ideas.
Instead, one suspects this poorly argued piece is merely a flag to those who in future might research the credentials of her ideologies.

Or, if you prefer, merely another unwanted advertisement for a product that appears to be as weak as piss, and twice as salty.

Back to the paddocks

Simon Bedak
"Lorraine"
Wagga Wagga NSW 2650
Posted by simon bedak, Wednesday, 8 August 2007 12:07:14 PM
Not much to say really.

An excellent thread, with the clear majority being able to see right through the silly woman.
Posted by Ginx, Wednesday, 8 August 2007 1:07:10 PM
I too thought the ABC's handling of 'A global warming swindle' ridiculous. Tony Jones could not contain his obvious contempt for those prepared to challenge 'the consensus'.

I have many other examples of bias from the ABC on environmental issues at my website. Here are a few links:

This one is about forestry and ABC 4-Corners

http://www.jennifermarohasy.com/blog/archives/001633.html

Here's comment from Ian Castles again on bias at 4-Corners but this time climate change

http://www.jennifermarohasy.com/blog/archives/001183.html

And any file footage will sometimes do when the ABC want to make a point

http://www.jennifermarohasy.com/blog/archives/001670.html
Posted by Jennifer, Wednesday, 8 August 2007 1:25:43 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. ...
  11. 14
  12. 15