The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > We are playing a dangerous game > Comments

We are playing a dangerous game : Comments

By Brian Holden, published 3/8/2007

The media’s unrelenting promotion of a negative image of Islam and the government’s scare tactics must cease.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 9
  7. 10
  8. 11
  9. Page 12
  10. 13
  11. 14
  12. All
I think it's probably equivalent to our belief of 's/he died doing what s/he loved best'.

Obviously dying while praying in a mosque is something perceived as holy.
Posted by Liz, Sunday, 12 August 2007 12:23:34 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
If the fellow was praying to his god for the benefit and understanding of his society it was most probably a great way to leave this life. If he was praying to his God for vengeance then it was probably an unhappy miserable passing with a head full of negative thoughts. Personally I think it's disrespectful to post such a picture here or on that web site. anywhere. We seem to have lost all sense of decency and decorum. It's no different than dragging a dead body through the streets. I feel for that mans family, and those Muslims who posted such a picture should be ashamed of themselves. Death should not be treated as a spectator sport.
Posted by aqvarivs, Sunday, 12 August 2007 7:59:42 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Well said Aqvarivs.

The right and proper response to such a scene would be sadness and condolences to the family or not showing the photo in the first place.

However, what we have from the members of Muslim Village is a serious of macabre posts that are bordering on the insane.

The question for Australian society is this - should we allow the 'Mohammedian Cult' to go unchallenged. Are we doing enough to prevent such an inhumane ideology?
Posted by TR, Sunday, 12 August 2007 10:18:11 AM
We don't know what the bloke was praying for.

It was most likely disrespectful to his family, as Aquarvius has stated. AND there was no 'dead body [dragged] through the streets'. So that analogy was not relevant

This is NOT the voice of the 'Muslim Village'.

It's poor taste, like the poor taste you often read on this web site.

So let's no be drama queens and attempt to make an issue out of rants from adolescent boys.
Posted by Liz, Sunday, 12 August 2007 10:58:27 PM
Paull, it is still disressing to me as a historian and social scientist that you seem to think so little of the value of history, especially history taught in universities.

Also the value of true democracy. We might guess the problem with Israel is that in a democratic sense a people's vote throughout the Middle East would have her thrown out. And it is a sad fact that she not only needs America behind her, but also her own nuclear arsenal.

That is why the Jews as Israelis have lost much of the love and respect they had when they first began to recover from the inhuman tactics of the Nazis. Thus historians and social scientists do worry that certain Jews might regard the Arabs the same way, as if they might be better to have genocide practised on them.

Personally as a sportsman I like to follow sporting rules, Paull, and don't regard any nation much superior to any other. Have also played much sport with Aboriginals, who have so much proven their own personal dignities by means of sport.

It is also wonderful that the Iraqi soccer team won the Asian Cup, especially as they say they are a mixed team of Sunnis, Shias and even Kurds. I only pray that it is so, Paull.

When I'd gained my Post-Grad with Honor's in the General Social Sciences, it was suggested because I was doing it to further my learning owing to only a limited education cut off early in the Great Depression, it was suggested that I go my own way, and not be faithful to any group or party.

I only hope I finish my life that way, Paull.

Regards - BB
Posted by bushbred, Monday, 13 August 2007 4:38:59 PM
BB,
I fail to see how anything I have said could be interpreted in a way that suggests I have little respect for history. This goes doubly for any alleged disparagement of university taught history.

True democracy in your sense means a one world gov’t with no borders. The idea is not a practical one. Should we let the Indonesians decide whether we Anglo saxon/celts have a right to govern ourselves in the middle of Asia?

Israel doesn’t need American support to defend itself militarily, but they are glad for it, like most other democracies across the world, including South Korea and Taiwan. It is sad that Israel needs a nuclear arsenal to defend itself, but that says more about the potential threat of its neighbours, than anything else. To have endured at least three major wars with countries which surround it, Israel is right to be cautious about its security. Especially given some of the bloodcurdling rhetoric which comes from its numerous enemies. Whatever Ahmedijhad said, it is clear he seeks an end to the Jewish state. And he is certainly not alone.

If, as you say, the Jews have lost the love and respect they had after ww2, (which I doubt was ever the case) it is because fighting for your survival can be a very ugly business indeed. Few countries in the world have found themselves in such a situation where they are surrounded and outnumbered by enemies who hate them and untiringly work for their demise. Israel has lived on a knife edge for nearly 60 years now and things don’t look all that bright for their future.

The very problem I have with the cultural relativism that you display “(I) don't regard any nation much superior to any other ” is that you are happy to chop and choose when you apply it. You condemn British gassing of the Arab revolt 100 years ago using the cultural standards of today. Yet you have nothing to say about totalitarianism, and the very real lack of freedom in countries like Saudi Arabia, Iran, North Korea etc
Posted by Paul.L, Tuesday, 14 August 2007 1:45:04 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 9
  7. 10
  8. 11
  9. Page 12
  10. 13
  11. 14
  12. All