The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Nobody's at home in Australia when it comes to actually caring > Comments

Nobody's at home in Australia when it comes to actually caring : Comments

By Natasha Cica, published 23/7/2007

Stop waiting for leadership and do something yourself.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Stand up and be counted? Risk being jailed because one has taken the whistleblower path? Be accused of goodness knows what if one helps a child in distress? Risk our children being bullied and name-called? Risk the loss of a job or the partner losing his/hers? Be ostracised just because one took a stand against wrongdoing? Be falsely accused of whatever takes the fancy of the person undertaking inappropriate behaviour? Oh, my dear. Please. Do us all a favour. Come out into the real world. Too many good people have been very badly treated to take your advice too seriously. In order to 'stand up and do something' the culture of acceptance of wrong-doing needs to change. Perhaps you could confine yourself to developing the means to doing this first, and then letting us know the formula? It's a good sentiment, dear, but not practical in the world we currently have.
Posted by arcticdog, Monday, 23 July 2007 12:18:42 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Personally I think she was right when she said, nothing was in her cupboard. I hesitate to guess what might be not written on her t-shirt. I think I just read a 1000 word definition of the word vacuous.
Posted by aqvarivs, Monday, 23 July 2007 1:46:16 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Sneekeepete,
You have hit the nail on the head yet again mate, yank consumerism prevails in this country. We are rapidly losing our own national identity "she'll be right mate" or apathy and selfishness rules. We once had a "can I give you a hand mate" culture however that was in a time when we could have the USA as an ally without wearing our caps backward wearing baggy trousers and describing our mates as "guys".

We have been weaned into a world where it's "all about me" and real love, compassion or empathy for our fellow man is disappearing in favor of the 2nd Plasma. When you think about it what a ridiculous slant on life. You still get the same yank crap shows on Plasma as you do with an ordinary TV. Not assisted by the emergence of lunatic cults like the Assembly of God.
Posted by SHONGA, Monday, 23 July 2007 2:15:50 PM
Thanks Natasha, you've given me the cracker up the fundament to take a stand on something dear to my heart. It's time I actually made a formal approach to our mayor to change the by laws and make pool covers mandatory in our City.
I've seen the lakes in my local park dry up as the water table drops but water waste doesn't.
And I've sat under the bougainvillea and lifted another scab and whinged at my thoughtless neightbours evaporating away as I demand that someone do something about it.
I may not be successful, but it's worth trying.
Perhaps I'm the somebody who should do something about it.
Diana
Posted by Diana, Monday, 23 July 2007 8:36:12 PM
Foyle,There is a person who is hiding behind the 'department,' telling you to have nothing to do with a person/s in need. You may find another avenue to help and discover funding to help others in most need of tutoring that you & others give so freely. Congratulations on your empathy. Sounds to me the 'faceless one,' has yet to learn the meaning of such compassion.
Posted by ma edda, Monday, 23 July 2007 9:20:45 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Ah possums. This article and thread is just what I need at the moment. The sly-boys in Canberra are turning me bolemic. Can I hide out here for a little while?

I declare, I love you all - depend on it!

Hey, why don't we all watch some YouTube together? Light the incense Sneeky. Turn the lights down. C'mon everybody. The Lambrusco's on me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o02mRHYENnU&mode=related&search=

(god, people knew how to dress then)

Come and join us Natasha. We don't bite.

Sleep tight all....
Posted by Chris Shaw, Carisbrook 3464, Monday, 23 July 2007 9:42:05 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy