The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Sending in the troops > Comments

Sending in the troops : Comments

By Brett Solomon, published 2/7/2007

The widespread abuse of Indigenous Australians should deeply worry us all. So too should the Federal Government’s response to it.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
No, I don't live in fairyland, am very definitely not a Howard stooge, and I actually work in one of the Aboriginal communities which has just been visited by the task force, and witnessed the visit.
Cheers
Dangerous Dan
Posted by Dan Fitzpatrick, Monday, 2 July 2007 9:35:04 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
You say "bad policy" but the perpetrators of crimes also have responsibility. The main difference in Australia is that an aboriginal man will have a house built for him when a white guy would go to jail for fifteen years.
Is there really such a difference between an evil bastard and an aboriginal evil bastard? Get real.
Posted by citizen, Monday, 2 July 2007 11:36:46 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Thank you to those that appreciate my turnaround.

Not much to be proud of given I am 50 ears old and suddenly see things clearly. Well hope I do.

Unlike Dan Fitzparick I do not live amongst, nor work with aboriginal people so claim no expertise.

I have just lived and worked amongst people and recognise an unlevel playing field from a mile away.

The few times I have been close to, or in an aboriginal community the only recollection I have is that roads leading in are dirt or poorly maintained. But at the end of the road we refuse to look after we expect an avenue of roses.
Posted by Verdant, Tuesday, 3 July 2007 12:04:55 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
From time to time we see proof lies are used to prove a point that can not be proved.
Send in the troops? honestly? if we send them to help after storm or flood we do well but here it is cause for insult?
I know in my heart they go without fixed bayonets without guns.
And that we must as one poster said continue this drive after Howard.
It would be of help if some who value lifestyle and pain of these people less than trying to prove a point would hold themselves accountable for that view.
If politically correct views that border on lies can be weighed against the real pain in these community's.
Posted by Belly, Tuesday, 3 July 2007 6:06:57 AM
the pollies have had about 100 years to sort out the aboriginal problem. did you ever think maybe it's too hard for them? maybe the structure of australian government makes resolution impossible?

first, there can be no long term solution, since no policy can outlive a change of government.

second, there can be no effective devolution of power when the people who have it yearn for more. this means real autonomy of aboriginal people on their ancestral land is unlikely to happen, but probably the key to establishing a successful resolution.

the result has been, in a political society without an effective constitution, a vote-driven bipartisan policy of doing as little as possible- lest 2 votes be lost through wasting money on brown people
Posted by DEMOS, Tuesday, 3 July 2007 8:02:04 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"Given the polls maybe its Rudd we should be putting the heat on for solutions."

Good point Palimpsest. It does look rather like Rudd will inherit whatever remains of the surge, but from a political point of view, there's no point in him weighing in on this issue. As the Gallaxy poll showed, it's not a vote changer.

We'll have to wait until the special sitting to see which bits he supports and which bits he doesn't.
Posted by chainsmoker, Tuesday, 3 July 2007 10:25:39 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy