The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Hirsi Ali: an apostle of liberal democracy and of secularism? > Comments

Hirsi Ali: an apostle of liberal democracy and of secularism? : Comments

By Mark Bahnisch, published 15/6/2007

A liberal democracy is not worthy of the name unless it treats all its citizens equally and without discrimination.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. All
Nick, I apologise if my puny brain cannot encompass the majesty of your argument.

I can certainly agree that the Ten Commandments example was off-topic, but it was you who raised it, not I. Not to mention that as an American phenomena it seems irrelevant in Australia. You'll obviously have to search for a better example, eh? Let me know when you've found one.
Posted by Johnj, Tuesday, 19 June 2007 10:47:20 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
A global Islamic state almost upon us? More hysteria and garbage. Like reds under the bed, the yellow peril and the second coming. Heard it all before. Time for a new conspiracy theory, perhaps?
Posted by DavidJS, Wednesday, 20 June 2007 2:03:00 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hmmm... liberal democratic reasoning holds rights of the individual as prominent... perhaps.

Does this liberal democratic reasoning hold rights of individuals prominent when these individuals fail to comply with rules of the liberal state ?

Philosophically a liberal democracy is not worthy of the name unless it treats all its citizens, all its lawful residents, equally and without discrimination.

Obvious to all who honestly look we have a long way to go.

What is discrimination ?

IMHO there is no such thing as positive discrimination.

For liberal democrats to demand compliance from all sections of their communities to abide by these basic human rights will help if they can be written easier to find and read.

Particularly if these individual human rights supercede widely perceived "cultural rights" of other community member groups
Posted by polpak, Thursday, 21 June 2007 6:59:02 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy