The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Balibo inquest shows the futility of appeasement > Comments

Balibo inquest shows the futility of appeasement : Comments

By Bruce Haigh, published 14/6/2007

The coronial inquest into the killing of five journalists in East Timor in 1975 has demonstrated that, eventually, the truth will out.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. All
VK3, what has the Dutch hegemony over the East Indies have to do with Arab culture in Indonesia, or Balibo? Like many colonial powers, the Dutch brought some good things and some bad things to Indonesia. For the record, and I'm sure you know this, Timor was a Portuguese holding. The Indonesians saw an opportunity for colonisation themselves after grabbing West Papua (also illegally).
Posted by Viking, Thursday, 21 June 2007 9:19:33 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
@Viking:

LOL, zapata said there are 293 Arabic loanwords in Indonesian. Meanwhile, according to Oxford English Dictionary, there are 250 Arabic loanwords in English. Using your theory, that means England is as Arabicised as Indonesia.

@zapata:

LOL, of course we can realise that there was never any genocide in East Timor under Indonesian rule since that is statistically impossible, as shown by the censuses.

Sukarno taught: we must always learn from history. The chaos of the 1950s showed that western-style democracy is unfit for Indonesia. Thankfully, strong Sukarno was there to save Indonesia from early destruction caused by indecent application style of western-style type of government.

BTW, if you are Indonesian, you seem to be poorly informed about the country. No wonder your posts lack any authority and your incorrect statements easily demolished and debunked.
Posted by Proud to be Indonesian, Friday, 22 June 2007 4:02:59 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
PTBI,

You can say that my posts lack of authority and easily debunked. I wouldn't mind. But at the end, readers will perhaps sense it that i am trying to be careful in making argument.

As for Parliamentary Democracy, i disagree with you. You seem to ignore the politik aliran factor which has been crucial in hightening tension in the Indonesian politics regardless what kind of governmental system Indonesia has. This started long before Indonesia merdeka...even in zaman pergerakan.

My lesson: please learn from history carefully and history is not black and white.
Posted by zapata, Friday, 22 June 2007 6:11:03 PM
There are more likely 1000 words of Arabic origin (possibly themselves loanwords from Persian) in Bahasa Indonesia. One thousand of a total of 100,000 words is rather more significant than the handful of Arabic words (most of which are proper names, in any case, like names for stars) in the 600,000-strong English vocabulary.
Posted by Viking, Friday, 28 September 2007 11:00:27 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy