The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > 'The God of Small Things' lives on > Comments

'The God of Small Things' lives on : Comments

By Rajgopal Nidamboor, published 5/6/2007

Arundhati Roy’s Booker Prize-winning novel continues to astound, a riveting work of human revelation.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
A couple of Arudhati Roy videos:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-108608146798491847

http://www.youtube.com/v/7vnaf8R_SJo

Enjoy!
Posted by Chris Shaw, Carisbrook 3464, Tuesday, 5 June 2007 9:47:26 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Thanks for the reference Chris, I've just finished listening to Roy's speech. It's brilliant: intelligent, well-researched, literate and very moving. Thanks again for bringing it to our attention.
Posted by FrankGol, Tuesday, 5 June 2007 11:08:35 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
She is of course much reviled and criticised by the "right" thinking IPA clones. Especially as she is a prominent and very vocal supporter of the anti-globalization movement. Globalization, at least in its current form, being the latest and deadliest phase of the western imperialist project.
Posted by Ho Hum, Tuesday, 5 June 2007 11:22:05 AM
GOST is the only novel I've ever read where I've immediately gone back to the start and reread it.

Its complexly woven structure, multiple layers of meanings and beautiful rhythms repay a second look. It's a splendid and humane work of art.

Definitely a favorite.
Posted by Snout, Tuesday, 5 June 2007 3:48:42 PM
I must admit, I'm now planning to read the book, it does sound interesting.

Not because of this article however. Right up until this paragraph the review was void of content.

"GOST evolves over just one day, and encompasses a few decades, back and forth. It examines how the little world of Ammu’s twins...

Before this paragraph, the review was pseudo-intellectual pap using big words to say absolutely nothing.

From that paragraph onward, some appraisals of substance emerged, but prior to that it was simply using flowery language that had little meaning.
Posted by TurnRightThenLeft, Tuesday, 5 June 2007 4:07:54 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy