The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The Third Man - why Willie Mason and John Howard have embraced postmodernism > Comments

The Third Man - why Willie Mason and John Howard have embraced postmodernism : Comments

By Richard Stanton, published 30/4/2007

When prime ministers and footballers refer to themselves as commodities, it’s time for the alarm bells to start ringing loudly.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
Whatever 'political communication' might be, apart from yet another 'in group' waste of time and educational resources, neither Mr Mason or Mr Howard would know postmodernism if it came up and bit them - indeed neither would I despite expending some effort towards finding out. They speak of themselves in the third person simply as a psychological artifice to avoid responsibility for their many examples of ethically dubious behaviour. So do many wanky academics.
Posted by GYM-FISH, Monday, 30 April 2007 12:21:36 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
What slight of hand,trying to equate Dimwit Wee Willy Mason with John Howard.Kevin Rudd has got to do a lot better than attempted character assination to gain our confidence.
The economy is a lot more complex that just generalised bland expressions of "Post Modernism".

I disagree with this notion of anything goes free trade but things like unfair dismissal must go.John Howard should have done an evolutionary system of IR reform to slowly gain the confidence of the electorate and make work place agreements fairer.They are the way to go but not so fast or so extreme.Things should always evolve with imput from both sides.

Kevin Rudd and his union buddies will take us back to the dark ages.
Unions only represent 16% of the private workforce,so why do they have such a large say in how the Labor Party forms policy?
Posted by Arjay, Monday, 30 April 2007 7:50:43 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Answer to arjay - they don't. It is you who is in the dark ages, and loving it
Posted by GYM-FISH, Monday, 30 April 2007 10:40:28 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Arjay as you know I am a union official.
A lifetime unionist from the more Conservative side of the movement.
And I do truly think you also know the campaign against workchoices is not a union one alone.
Workchoices shows both Howard's contempt for the whole union movement.
And his lack of understanding the first and most hardest hit are the already low income earners ,who basically are not union members.
Stage 2 and three of workchoices are planned ,some are already law and set to impact in 2009, will hurt nearly every one.
From my point of view Rudd our next Prime Minister, has been as even handed as he could in his redrafting of our IR.
We the union movement, at least my side of it understand it to be true even handed reform.
Not the insult to an Aussie fair go workchoices is.
12 short months from now after the dust settles from this hard fought election Conservative Australia will share my views workchoices was an unwise act of spite from a man who miss used a mandate and this country.
It is not too late for a new leader before this train wreck election Howard should go now.
Posted by Belly, Tuesday, 1 May 2007 5:48:01 AM
Not really sure, but to commodify people sounds like they are there to be used by a higher power - much like Stalin did to the Kulaks when he changed the tune after the death of Lenin who had promised the kulak farmers they could run their farms as before the Revolution. Furthermore, when the Kulaks jacked up, Stalin had a quarter of them shot dead and another quarter sent to Siberia

We know Howard would never think of something like that, but his persistent 'I' rather than 'we' or 'us' these days causes one to wonder a little if in his declining he has turned into a little Hitler?

Please to remember that human commodification was also the ideal of the Nazi Party, corporatism also being part of it, so please take warning little Johnny about fronting up with an 'I' instead of a 'We'.
Posted by bushbred, Wednesday, 2 May 2007 12:11:15 PM
The alarm bells have been ringing for a helluva long time Big Dock Rick. Perhaps that's why people are not responding -- like Quasimodo they've gone deaf from the bells, the bells.
That Howard is only now making a "strategic embrace" of postmodernism, when we are apparently in the tail end of post-postmodernism (therefore presumably entering into post-post-postmodernism any moment, which will make us as usual only 20 years behind the US), just proves what a dinosaur he is. No matter how long he's been in power, extinction lasts a helluva lot longer, thank god.
Posted by Al Paige, Monday, 8 October 2007 2:20:35 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy