The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Climate, oil and terror > Comments

Climate, oil and terror : Comments

By Simon Mundy, published 23/4/2007

If we do nothing to reduce our use of petroleum we agree to keep funding fundamentalist Islam and terrorist groups.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
The fact that the US Department of Defense seems to be the world's biggest user of high quality oil, is a big, big problem. How can we avoid playing into the hands of the Military Industrial Complex?

See here:

http://www.energybulletin.net/26194.html

How to carefully use the remaining oil for the greatest good is a knotty problem. How will we wrest ownership off the War Machine?

I suppose we are going to have to hold Godzilla's head underwater until he finally drowns.

- any volunteers?
Posted by Chris Shaw, Carisbrook 3464, Monday, 23 April 2007 9:21:05 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I agree with Chris, if we don't use oil terrorists won't want to defend it. We have a range of greenhouse neutral ways to produce electricity, what we lack is the political will from both sides of politics.
Posted by SHONGA, Monday, 23 April 2007 10:04:27 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
In greenhouse terms oil is less of a problem than coal as it is facing rapid depletion. Production of crude and condensate has already peaked worldwide and 'all liquids' including ethanol and tar sands is stuck on 85 million barrels per day. Credible forecaster Samson Bhaktiari predicts that will drop to 55 mbpd by 2020. Like nuclear electricity it is thought that coal derived liquid fuel can't be brought onstream fast enough to offset oil's decline. Then in turn natural gas and coal will peak so we will have burned most of the fossil fuel and the emissions problem will abate after 2050. Trouble is severe climate change, energy shortages and regional conflict will have made the Earth a hellish place to live. This is within the lifetime of today's children.

The alternative is to conserve that fossil fuel and move to cleaner alternatives. Apart from some feeble gestures very few countries seem capable of achieving that alternative.
Posted by Taswegian, Monday, 23 April 2007 10:27:42 AM
Whats happened to Online Opinion forum?
All of todays posts are on the "left" side of the culture wars divide--even Mirko. His article being one of his better essays.
And they all have some useful and challenging things to say.
Unlike the usual one dimensional cliches of the IPA clones and their repetitive me, me, me, mantra.
Posted by Ho Hum, Monday, 23 April 2007 10:56:20 AM
the problem is not ecological, it's political. western society is commercial, not political. most decisions are made with, and for, and by money.

any one with the price can choose to do something anti-social such as going to pick up a newspaper in a hummer.

the course of this type of society is seeming to lead to disaster. so i suggest we change to a political society where discussion and referendum set public policy. it's called "democracy"
Posted by DEMOS, Monday, 23 April 2007 11:03:26 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
This is a good article that expresses an obvious link between two of the biggest problems that the world currently faces. I've often said that it will prove to be seen that one of the most tragic coincidences in history was the discovery of the first large oil deposits in the Middle East.

Of course, oil is not the only contributor to greenhouse emissions, nor is it the only source of income that funds Islamism, however it remains a major contributor to both. The sooner the West weans itself off its addiction to oil the better.
Posted by CJ Morgan, Monday, 23 April 2007 11:40:33 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy