The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Performance pay for schools without teachers? > Comments

Performance pay for schools without teachers? : Comments

By Philip Roberts, published 19/4/2007

It is not the money that attracts teachers - it is the altruistic motivation of loving the work they do.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
Well said, Philip Roberts. Your article strengthens my suspicions that most of the opinions in support of performance pay, along simplistic "money for results" lines, reflect no experience of regional and isolated schools in any Australian state or territory.
Posted by Sir Vivor, Thursday, 19 April 2007 9:32:06 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
SOCIAL DRIFT and OTHER KEY FINDINGS on ISOLATED COMMUNITIES

"The real issues affecting these schools are the impact of isolation on young professionals and the seeming lack of support for their staff. Recent research has shown that the isolation from family and friends, lack of services and a sense of professional isolation all tend to encourage teachers to leave after a couple of years."

This is then to point out this experience felt by many citizens living in isolated rural communities.

* What happens if all these peoples leave too?

We need to become a more affirmatively engaging driven society.

I wish for a society that uses our economic, cultural and historical knowledge to solve social problems at the point of their cause.

Cooktown School in Cape York lost 14 teachers in one year recently. We have a similar staff turnover at the hospital and other essential services. How can we, as locals, build continuity at a community level like this?

With respect, I say we are becoming a society made up of “competitive mainstream bullies”. We have a administrate breakdown in governing performance at national, state and local levels.

It seems money drives everything. We have bullies in the work place, bullies in the schoolyard, violence everywhere for all sorts of reasons these days, in all sectors of our Australian community. (See findings of the Western Australian Education Reports on Bullies”).

Wake Up Australia, IF we want to attract teachers back to school, and IF we want to attract our kids back to school….

The mindset is about more than JUST MONEY.

Civic Engagement is a key issue in Australia and I say we need to be more mindful and attentative.

It is our own performance we need to review… not a pay-pack on teachers!

http://www.miacat.com/
Posted by miacat, Thursday, 19 April 2007 2:12:27 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I lived and worked on Thursday Island for three years. It was a real privilege, what a wonderful place. And actually people tended to save quite a bit of money there because there was nothing very much to buy. It broke my heart to leave T.I. but there were endless accommodation problems. If you were a family it was fine, you had your own house, but as a single person I was expected to share a very small flat with another person with whom I had nothing in common.
I agree that teachers love their work, not in a nun-like way, but because you can be really creative when you teach. I got a lot of pleasure from thinking up interesting activities for the children.
But workplace bullying is a big issue for teachers in Queensland. Your career and your health can be destroyed in a couple of days. And there is no hope of justice. The Bad Apple Bullies website http://www.badapplebullies.com/ supports teachers who are dealing with workplace bullying. You are not alone.
Posted by Dealing With The Mob, Thursday, 19 April 2007 9:30:18 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
An excellent, well thought out approach to the issue that indicates that if the Federal Government was genuinely interested in improving the educational experiences of students - and especially those disadvantaged, in this case by distance - rather than making political points and playing the "blame game" there are things that can be done that the States would fully co-operate with.
Posted by Ian K, Monday, 23 April 2007 12:20:39 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Performance pay for teachers is utter garbage as every over seas study has proven and as we all know here.

It simply will not work, other than to be abused by those who only wish to look after themselves and their mates.

I would willingly testify before a parliamentary inquiry about principals who have given promotions to wives, misteresses, drinking mates, horse bet mates... while bullying some truly great teachers.

I could attest to racism, sexism and other discrimination.

It matters not HOW good a teacher is - only if they are friendly with he/ her who decides.

Then what about the frauds? There are many schools in this state that have a pass mark of 20% NOT 50%. They would look great on
paper but they are not giving their students a real chance at a career or tertiary entrance down the track.

Theer are many schools with limited resources, few computers, old text books...

There are schools where the majority of teachers have, with respect, limited experience in VCE levels.

Then there are the private establishments

I could go on but the wholse system is a crock and should be scrapped
Posted by Ange, Thursday, 3 May 2007 4:49:50 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy