The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Hicks: guilty means guilty, sort of ... > Comments

Hicks: guilty means guilty, sort of ... : Comments

By Mirko Bagaric, published 28/3/2007

Speculation about David Hicks' actual guilt is pointless.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 9
  8. 10
  9. 11
  10. All
Yeet another waste of pixels and ink on a contribution from Mirko "look at me look at me" Bagaric -
Posted by sneekeepete, Wednesday, 28 March 2007 9:24:42 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hicks is a symbol of war. He embodies a range of ideas which are controversial and difficult to articulate in public debate. His guilt or otherwise is a reflection of the ideas we associate with him as a symbol of war. I certainly wouldn't want to be the bunny who "has to be made an example of"!
Posted by vivy, Wednesday, 28 March 2007 9:39:02 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I agree with you sneekeepete.

This facile article was obviously rattled off in haste.

Mirko's reference to "swanning out of the prison gates...slap a control order on him...his growing tribe of fanatical civil libertarians who will continue to unremittingly proclaim the innocence of their champion" indicates strangely lightweight thought for someone who teaches law.

Pete
Posted by plantagenet, Wednesday, 28 March 2007 9:44:01 AM
Are you willing to get involved in a campaign to have persons who are found innocent compensated for their legal fees and for time spent on remand, Mirko? It would be a long one, given the time and effort it seems to take to get the the most simple of arguments accepted by our governments.

Or would you consider such protracted campaigning fanatacism?
Posted by ozbib, Wednesday, 28 March 2007 9:54:32 AM
Pete..maybe not a waste. It gives opportunity to show the amoral political opportunism of Brown_Destroyer_and_co.

FACT ? "David Hicks 'enlisted' with Al Qaeda"

or

FACT ? "David Hicks 'enlisted' with the Taliban"

That is all that is needed to justify a number of approaches to his situation.

I heard on ABC last night that he already admitted to having "ENLISTED" with Al Qaeda.

There is nothing more to determine except:

1/ Should he be executed.
2/ Should he be jailed for life.
3/ Should he be given the opportunity to publically recant his Muslim beliefs and condemn Al Qaeda and the Taliban ?

Enslistment alone is enough. No mucking around with evidence/trials and timewasting leftist political posturing.

My preference is for "3" That would do more for our cause of freedom than the costly exercise of feeding him for 30 yrs or so, and execution, well..I think we can do better than that in the present circumstances.

If he publically denounces both Islam or, at least the Al-Qaeda/Taliban version it would be beneficial. But I would go further.

1/ He must reject some verses from the Quran and denounce them as "not from God"

These include

Surah 23:5-6 which allows sexual use of captive slave girls with or without their permission.

Surah 33:50 which gives Mohammed a "licence to thrill" where only HE can have ANY believing woman as wife or temporary wife (in the west we call this a one night stand)

Surah 9:30 which curses Christians and Jews and calls for Allah to DESTROY them (us) and vilifies them/us as 'deluded'.

Surah 9:29 which orders Muslims to fight against all who do not believe in Allah.

The War with Al Qaeda is STILL on-going, so he cannot be released at the end of conflict as normal POWs are.

This approach would be of greatest benefit to the West and to Justice.

If he refuses to comply with this, then he can languish for the rest of his days in a down market low cost prison. The choice is his.
Posted by BOAZ_David, Wednesday, 28 March 2007 9:56:01 AM
Absolutely BOAZ_david, everyone guilty of providing material support to terrorism should be locked up in solitary & tortured for at least five years, or until they lead guilty, or both.

So when are you going to call for the round up of all the Liberal & National Party hacks in the Australian Wheat Board who gave Saddam $300mil?
Posted by Liam, Wednesday, 28 March 2007 10:08:04 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 9
  8. 10
  9. 11
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy