The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Hot stuff on little kids - Dr Mustard adds spice to the reading wars > Comments

Hot stuff on little kids - Dr Mustard adds spice to the reading wars : Comments

By Glynne Sutcliffe, published 2/4/2007

One of the most persistent follies in the child-rearing culture is the belief that children should be left to their own devices.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
By and large I agree with the article's content - i.e. that encouraging learning from the earliest ages will have a greater positive development impact.
Two comments however: good learning is not necessarily related to what is paid to teachers. I have yet to see any correlation made to this, yet it is an assertion repeatedly brought forth. Higher wages do not necessarily attract better teachers - only better interview performers. Having said that, however, I do agree that teaching should be fiscally commensurate with other professions.
Secondly: I see no reason at all why the primary care giver role in which learning is maximised is almost automatically always assigned to mothers, as in your article. Fathers have an equal contribution to the learning rate or otherwise of children.
I do agree that so far teachers are proving the biggest barrier to implementation of change in the learning process. It is almost as if they are guarding a territory, with little real regard to benefits to be attained by their charges. Yet my experience of teachers, of which I was one, is that their qualifications are lacking. Academically, I found few who were sufficiently educated in literacy/numeracy skills themselves to be promoting this learning in others and was constantly in dismay by their poor spelling, grammar, ability to think through mathematical problems and so on. Therefore an overhaul of the (adult) teaching system is as much required as the (child's) education system.
Posted by arcticdog, Tuesday, 3 April 2007 11:06:14 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy