The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The Cousins suspension - an exercise in misguided moralising > Comments

The Cousins suspension - an exercise in misguided moralising : Comments

By Mirko Bagaric, published 26/3/2007

AFL footballers have no less right to drink to excess and over-react to relationship breakups than do others.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All
"AFL footballers have no less right to drink to excess and over-react to relationship breakups than doctors, judges, plumbers and journalists, none of whom lose their livelihoods as a result of their excesses. And detecting the use of (non-performance enhancing) illegal drugs is a police matter, not the role of an overbearing employer. That’s why the Eagles suspsension of star player Ben Cousins is misguided."

Bam. First paragraph. Open and shut case - it really is that simple. Great article (I assume, based on that paragraph).

Except I don't really mind Cousins being gone - anything to help the Dockers continue to wallop the Eagles this season.

Carn the Dockers.
Posted by spendocrat, Monday, 26 March 2007 12:57:52 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Morality surely is not the question, it's image, the image refers image of a club group game etc. I agree codes be vigilent about any performance enhancing drugs, alcohol has never made me better at anything, maybe I'm out of it now?

The right of a club to sack a performer for whatever reason only makes him available to another club, if he's as good as people are saying. I'm a soccer fan anyway, a man laying in a gutter is not good publicity for any endeavour. He's wasting his opportunity, which at best lasts ten years. He'd be better waiting till opportunity has gone, then he can drink himself to death, he'll always be a good bloke then.
fluff
Posted by fluff4, Monday, 26 March 2007 1:15:30 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
If we all have to have this unhealthy obsession with "stars" and their rather vacuous lives and we live ours vicariously through them, they should realise that it is the public that pays their obscene salaries. Therefore they have a personal responsibility and obligation to behave in a manner befitting their position in the public eye. Surely that is fair ?
Posted by snake, Monday, 26 March 2007 1:27:43 PM
I agree with Snake. He and his ilk are setting a very poor example which a lot of very impressionable youth will follow. Even without drugs, there is far too much alcohol consumed by most players and so called "sportsmen" in our community.
Posted by VK3AUU, Monday, 26 March 2007 2:07:38 PM
As an old bush sportsman, playing most sports in between planting and gathering, even allowed to join the local rifle club at 16 and allowed to possess his own 303, finishing up as a marksman in the military.

Nothing really to skite about though, mostly glad to mix it with mates of the same mind.

Also boozed a bit in the military, and sadly even watched commmissioned officers go downhill through booze, never to recover.

Was taught as young to keep an eye on one self however, never to reach home drunk.

Over the long years, such has happened a couple of times, but let it be a lesson to watch oneself next time by missing more than a round or two and still enjoying the company.

It seems that Benny Boy Cousins never learned such lessons, and one wonders whether there is something in his makeup that kids like him with so much talent to lose, will still let themselves descend into a nether world in which there is only a sorry sad finale.

Unfortunately, our youngest son is like it and now being looked after in a home.

Even if we have mind to pray, may it it be not so much for the foolish ones who have ruined their lives.

But pray that those who do want to mix and drink, always know that they also have a persona that is watching and caring. Everybody has one, meaning that it is waiting there if we want to use it.
Posted by bushbred, Monday, 26 March 2007 2:18:22 PM
Of course footballers have a much bigger public profile than doctors, judges, plumbers and journalists. They are the subject of emulation and in some cases hero-worship in some parts of the community. It'd be nice if there was no need to rebuke anyone for their misdemeanours. However, society needs to start somewhere or else the bad behaviour will spread like a cancer. Sorry Mirko, but footie players are a good place to start.
Posted by RobP, Monday, 26 March 2007 4:00:04 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy