The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The Cousins suspension - an exercise in misguided moralising > Comments

The Cousins suspension - an exercise in misguided moralising : Comments

By Mirko Bagaric, published 26/3/2007

AFL footballers have no less right to drink to excess and over-react to relationship breakups than do others.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
The Eagles were perfectly entitled to suspend Cousins and any other player who drinks to excess.

Many of these players are payed large sums of money top run around chasing a ball and if they seize the samll bag of air they are then charged with the task of delivering it with some accuracy to a colleague or between pieces of wood signalling an effort that results in a score - in order to do that they have agreed ( in return for money ) to maintain a level of fitness and cognition that maximises their efficiency

- in the even they behave in a manner that comprises that by getting "whacked off their scones" their employer has the right to discipline them.

It is a matter of employment law more than moralising
Posted by sneekeepete, Monday, 26 March 2007 10:21:59 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Its funny how people need someone or something to worship. Just look at Shane Warne. He is considered a hero in many circles despite his cheating on his family. You have earth worshippers who are happy to be violent in order to bring peace. You have scientist who will happily go along with flawed theories because they don't want to question the 'Masters'. You have Allah worshippers, Buddha worshippers, body worshippers, movie star worshippers. We just can't escape being religous. Thankfully those who worship the Lord Jesus Christ worship Someone who is incorruptible. All others fail miserably in comparison.
Posted by runner, Monday, 26 March 2007 10:47:08 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Thank you Mirko. I'm always pleased to read something which brings about a change in my perspective, and this piece certainly has given me a new slant on the issue. Sometimes all it takes is a little nudge to get one thinking, and then you come out of the process with a changed mind.

As you say if he does - and does well - what he is paid to do, then he should continue to be paid to do it. There are plenty of other functional alcoholics out their being paid to be doctors, plumbers, lawyers and journalists. Until the sanctimonious among us stop going to footy matches because of the off-field behavious of players then there should be no problem with sponsors either.
Posted by Reynard, Monday, 26 March 2007 11:32:13 AM
"Its funny how people need someone or something to worship"

Yeah runner, it is. Wouldn't it be nicer if people didn't?

--

I'd agree wholeheartedly with the content of the article, though I see pericles's point.
Though from what I can tell, Cousins has performed reasonably well in terms of his on-field abilities.(I'm not sure of this, if I'm wrong, I stand corrected).

If indeed, he is playing below par then the club has the right to sack him for those reasons. If not, then I'd say it's up to the courts to decide punishment, rather than the club.

To be honest, I couldn't care less about Ben Cousins or any of this furore. I agree with the sentiment that there's much better things people can appreciate than the ability to boot a ball.
Posted by TurnRightThenLeft, Monday, 26 March 2007 11:34:26 AM
Cousins is not accused of drinking to excess, he is accused of using illegal drugs. What triggered his suspension from the Eagles was his failure to attend training when required. For a footballer, training is an essential requirement of the contract so suspension is fully justified. Cousins attendance at training has apparently been irregular for some time so it is not as though this was his first offence.
It would seem from what we know he has not been using "performance enhancing drugs" such as steroids which would definitely lead to his long term suspension. But I wonder if he has been using drugs such as cocaine, whether there is a connection to his reknowned capacity to keep running all day throughout a game.
I am not anti-drug use and sympathise with those who feel the need to use drugs. The war on drugs is a complete farce. Prohibition has never worked and just rewards the suppliers. Allowing access to drugs through a controlled and regulated supply process would take out the criminal element in the drug business.
Posted by rossco, Monday, 26 March 2007 11:34:33 AM
TRTL,
Thanks to you too. I was sorely tempted to make some comment about runner's inability to stay on topic. However I suppose that when you have an omniscient, omnipresent deity he is always relevant and may be introduced at will at any time and in any thread.
Posted by Reynard, Monday, 26 March 2007 11:58:37 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy