The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Does your senate vote really count? > Comments

Does your senate vote really count? : Comments

By Brett Walker, published 28/3/2007

The current Senate voting system makes a mockery of the democratic process in Australia.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
There is, of course, another option.

We retain above the line voting, but require people to number every box above the line. Their vote is then counted as being a primary vote for candidate (1) in the group against which they have marked 1. Their second preference goes to candidate (2) in that group, and so on. At the end of that group, their next preference (say preference 7) goes to candidate (1) in the group against which they have marked 2. And so on.

Instead of marking 70-odd squares, the punter has to mark maybe ten. But THEY get to control where their preferences go, not the parties. It's the best of both worlds.

Anthony
Posted by AnthonyMarinac, Wednesday, 28 March 2007 10:45:30 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
does anyone in australia know that 'democracy' means 'the people rule'?

instead of quibbling about which group of bandits gets to screw the public, why don't you talk about referendum and direct election, the tools of real democracy. unfortunately, your hands are tangled in your forelocks, your knees in a crouch from curtseying. from this posture it's hard to read about other cultures and embarrassing to speak in public. i guess it's genetic- politics can only be done by superior beings, called 'politicians', who can stand up and lie in public with a straight and uncovered face.

and that is why oz pundits are called 'chatterati, oz people are called 'horses'.
Posted by DEMOS, Wednesday, 28 March 2007 2:39:41 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Demos,

There's a Federal election later this year mate. If the candidates are all "bandits" then it's time for you to put up or shut up. Will you be standing? Will you be contesting seats against the "bandits"? Can I read your policies please?

Or was that just a rant?

Yeah, thought so.

Anthony
Posted by AnthonyMarinac, Wednesday, 28 March 2007 2:44:11 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Brett,

At last, an OLP item that makes sense and offers solutions! How did you get it published here? Must have slipped by in error. Jesting of course mate.

Seriously you are dead right. Like Beattie in QLD who created the vote 1 option for the lazy so Labor could dominate forever, this method of voting sucks.

There are many changes needed.

Could I suggest another?

Currently the major parties get paid $2.10 for every vote they get (yes, it's gone up, it's CPI indexed). Taxpayers money funding their election campaigns.

If anyone gets over 4% of the vote they get paid this way. I'd suggest this be reversed so that anyone getting less than 10% get's these dollars as they need encouragement while over 10% get nothing. The big two get enough from other avenues. They already use a huge chunk of taxpayers dollars as it is. To fly around, print pamhplets, attend campaign rallies and so on. Yes we pay them for that. Mind you they are still supposed to be at work during this and they are not. They are doing party political work, in our time at our expense.

To those looking for alternatives, try these websites re TAPP, The Australian People's Party. Looking for candidates and will actually give back 75% of any taxpayer funds if they recieve such.

Sites here :

http://www.tapp.org.au/, and

http://www.ozpolitic.com/app/app.html.

Join up and have a choice. Yes it's small but so was everything right?
Posted by Betty, Wednesday, 28 March 2007 3:52:32 PM
I always have and always will fill out my vote the way I want to.
Even if it takes a long time.
I think we should go back to everybody having to fill all the boxes in order, at least that way we have a tiny amound of IQ testing done before you get to vote
Posted by miketrees, Wednesday, 28 March 2007 10:37:36 PM
So the parties won't be directing preferences if you just put "1" above the line?
Same as NSW state elections?

Anyway, I always do the whole catastrophe just so I can put Fred Nile et al last. I have only buggered it up once and had to ask for another ticket.

I do wonder if my measly vote counts. It must be a nightmare to distribute my chaotic preferences.
Posted by michael2, Thursday, 29 March 2007 1:26:40 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy