The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > On confession > Comments

On confession : Comments

By Peter Sellick, published 13/3/2007

Introspection and confession of failure is anathema to a whole generation of unreflective sociopaths.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All
"Introspection and confession of failure is anathema to this (self esteem) movement because it produces bad feelings resulting in a bad self image. In the absence of belief in confession and absolution what other choice is there?"

Well, rather than listen to self-help gurus you can take responsibility for your own actions. Self-esteem comes from within.
Posted by bennie, Tuesday, 13 March 2007 4:58:02 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"I am always grateful for the prayers of confession and absolution in the Sunday Liturgy." - Sellick

If there is a God [who has "already"] died for Sin and that God is personal. Why do we the Church-based worship as an interlocator? The first century Jesus sects were household based. Presumably, the Church(es) leverage guilt to their advantage:

-- No clicks, please. Notes only.

The idea of Confessors goes to time of Christian persecutions by the Romans. Originally, Martyrs were prayed to. Later, some Christians whom had been tortured, lived and released, became "Confessors". Highly respected. But, the rub is, that political higher-ups in the Church did not like this behaviour and usurped the role. {source: Robin Lane Fox
Posted by Oliver, Tuesday, 13 March 2007 6:09:50 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Peter Sellers: "The Church is a gift of God established in the creation based on the truth that is Jesus Christ."

What on earth does that mean?

This author is almost a parody of theological self-indulgence. At least he isn't like to hateful like some others of his faith who post here, and those of other faiths that the godbotherers in this forum like to fantasise about in their posts.

I'm sure it all gives comfort to somebody, and at this level it seems harmless enough.
Posted by CJ Morgan, Tuesday, 13 March 2007 8:33:39 PM
Oops - that was supposed to read "At least he isn't overtly hateful like some others of his faith who post here..."
Posted by CJ Morgan, Tuesday, 13 March 2007 8:39:39 PM
Peter
When did Jesus found his Church?
Jesus lived and died a Jew. He was buried according to Jewish custom by his friends. Apart from the M16 quote, which sounds like a handy self-serving interpolation, there is no mention anywhere in the Gospels that Jesus intended to found a Church.
Posted by fdixit, Wednesday, 14 March 2007 8:42:20 AM

Stop thinking, and end your problems.
What difference between yes and no?
What difference between success and failure?
Must you value what others value,
avoid what others avoid?
How ridiculous!

Other people are excited,
as though they were at a parade.
I alone don't care,
I alone am expressionless,
like an infant before it can smile.

Other people have what they need;
I alone possess nothing.
I alone drift about,
like someone without a home.
I am like an idiot, my mind is so empty.

Other people are bright;
I alone am dark.
Other people are sharper;
I alone am dull.
Other people have a purpose;
I alone don't know.
I drift like a wave on the ocean,
I blow as aimless as the wind.

I am different from ordinary people.
I drink from the Great Mother's breasts.
Posted by Ando, Wednesday, 14 March 2007 1:24:40 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy