The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Is multiculturalism really 'mushy'? > Comments

Is multiculturalism really 'mushy'? : Comments

By Jieh-Yung Lo, published 27/2/2007

Multiculturalism may be abandoned as a policy but it continues to live on as a value.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 33
  10. 34
  11. 35
  12. All
Amber 300 and Horus are correct. Multiculturalism seperates us into tribes and it is good to see the start of its demise, by both Labor and Liberal. MC never worked and as the Leb Muslims have shown, it only takes one group not to recognise other cultures as valid and the whole thing collapses. MC was a phylosephy which wanted to foster seperate development, to become a federation of ethnic cultures, not one community.

There is no way MC can survive without Government support and the spending of millions of taxpayers dollars to keep the MC industry going.

We have been a multi-racial community ever since the first fleet but not MC. People in our society can have many differences but must share a common respect for our law and social standards. That is what will unite us again.
Posted by Banjo, Tuesday, 27 February 2007 2:08:20 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I was implying (perhaps obscurely) that I believe that the challenges posed to the 1940s ocker culture by the European migrants of the 1950s improved our society immensely. I saw it happen. The ockers whinged in a manner similar to many of the writers above. I suggest that Japan and Korea still have much to learn about living in harmony with other cultures. Maybe a migration program would be beneficial.
Posted by Henery, Tuesday, 27 February 2007 2:12:02 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Gecko, it takes two minutes it takes to find Australia's policy on Multiculturalism. (http://www.immi.gov.au/living-in-australia/a-diverse-australia/government-policy/australians-together/current-policy/principles.htm)

The policy is about 'a culturally diverse, accepting and open society, united through a shared future, a commitment to our nation, and our democratic institutions and values' It has four underlying principles:

1. Responsibilities of all: to support those basic structures and principles of Australian society which guarantee our freedom and equality and enable diversity to flourish.

2. Respect: subject to the law, the right of all Australians to express their own culture and beliefs and a reciprocal obligation to respect the right of others to do the same.

3. Fairness: an entitlement to equality of treatment and opportunity so that we can all to contribute to the social, political and economic life of Australia, free from discrimination on the grounds of race, culture, religion, language, location, gender or place of birth.

4. Benefits for all: all Australians benefit from productive diversity, ie. the significant cultural, social and economic dividends arising from the diversity of our population.

Now I know that people like Davos and Horus will choose to ignore Government Multicultural policy and continue to find a 'Real' and 'sinister' Multiculturalsim that they think encourages old enmities, dictates what is taught in schools, restricts free speech and drains the public purse.

No amount of facts or reference to proper definitions of Multiculturalism will shift their thinking. Why do you and they continue to trumpet the old myth that Multicullturalism and 'Western' values - what I call universal values - are at odds? Like you, I believe in democracy, freedom of speech and religion, and the rights of the individual - AND I believe in multiculturalism. Let's have no more of these false and deceptive dichotomies.
Posted by FrankGol, Tuesday, 27 February 2007 2:18:32 PM
PART_2_of_2

He, (The_Author) being Chinese, of ALL people should know exactly how his own mob have taken over the economies of most south east Asian countries !

Lets be clear on where the Yung_Lo’s interest lie.

[Jieh-Yung is a Policy/Project Officer of the Ethnic Communities’ Council of Victoria and Executive Member of Chinese Culture Monthly]

A member of not one but TWO racist organizations. Yes, you read correctly ‘racist’.

Why ‘racist’ ? Simple.. what does an ‘ethnic communities council’ do ? it advances the interests of ETHNIC communities.. (as opposed to the interests of the WHOLE community) and that... is discrimination based on race.
Chinese Culture Monthly ? That is clearly an example of the building up of ONE_ethnic community rather than_ALL_of_Australia-thus is racist.

http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1G1-15999891.html (1994)

[In Indonesia, where they are less than 4 per cent of the population, they have 75 per cent of the wealth. In Thailand, Chinese represent 8 per cent of the population but control 80 per cent of the wealth. The numbers are even more amazing in the Philippines: less than 2 per cent and 70 per cent.]

http://www.etan.org/et99/h-rights/unjan3.htm

[The perception among average non-Chinese Indonesians is that the Chinese control the economy in collaboration with Indonesian power elites].

PERCEPTION ? good grief.. I LIVED with this as a day2day REALITY in Malaysia for 8 yrs.
It was as obvious as dogs testicles on a grasshopper. It was just a fact of life. The politically powerful Malays were in bed with the technology rich Chinese.

Who awarded the contract for the Fast Train from KLIA to KL ? Malay... who did the job ? Chinese!
Just as with Muslims (cf Professor Raphael Israeli) there is a critical mass which leads to political and social upheaval of a violent kind, Chinese (and Indian) create a similar economic situation when the established population is mainly indigenous. This is a plain verifiable fact. Most race_riots in Malaysia and Indonesia can be traced back to THIS.

So, here we have Yung_lo giving us ‘she’ll be right mate’ on cultural diversity, and Irf and FellowHuman on religious_diversity.

DEPT of IMMIG_and_CITIZENSHIP_add “ASSIMILATION”!
Posted by BOAZ_David, Tuesday, 27 February 2007 3:01:52 PM
Racism is alive and well in Australia. And a wonderful tool for politicians to get Australians to take their collective eye of the ball.

For all you Anglo Australians, the greatest number, by far, of people who have lived here for many years, enjoying all the benefits of Australia, but NEVER (a Boazy trick, I know)EVER swearing allegiance to this nation and its laws (or values for that matter) are citizens from Great Britain. How treacherous is that? Don't they want to drape the Aussie flag over their shoulders and scream Aussie, Aussie, oi, oi, oi?

If we didn't have Chinese or Lebanese immigrants for you lot to insult and denigrate you would be arguing about whether Catholics or Protestants are the evil ones (like they do in homogenous, monocultural Ireland) and as the wonderful 'glue' of Australia used to do not so very long ago. Remember that? I myself am not too sure about the C of E mob, they want to join forces with the One True Church. As long as they know we are fully into indoctrination, no diversity or independent thought.

The real threat to Australian values is the path towards pure Capitalism we are taking, where we are in service of THE ECONOMY. Not new citizens of whichever cultural background. We are becoming a dog eat dog society, and if somebody looks a bit different to me, or speaks differently, so much the easier to trample on him and make me believe it is deserved.
Posted by yvonne, Tuesday, 27 February 2007 4:31:58 PM
Robg,

Its very easy to blame the new Immigrants for destruction in society and then hide the racist attitudes in Australia. The racist never gave new African migrants a chance.The conflicts with Muticulturalism in Australia shed some light to the world on how racist some Australians really are.

In Namibia the Native San people who are the world oldest culture have allowed Irish, Swedes,Asians into their country even though they have so little and have little exposure to others. In some parts of Australia racism is so deep that its second nature.
Posted by Amel, Wednesday, 28 February 2007 1:25:45 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 33
  10. 34
  11. 35
  12. All