The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Par for the course - Wooyung and Fortress Australia > Comments

Par for the course - Wooyung and Fortress Australia : Comments

By Malcolm King, published 6/2/2007

Paradise in Fortress Australia - the land of the gated community.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
I must say I find gated communities a strange idea. Those that feel insecure lock themselves away and leave the rest of us free. Perhaps this is the ultimate in user pays. Such a pity they are blight on the landscape.
Posted by Whispering Ted, Tuesday, 6 February 2007 10:46:27 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I find gated communities horrific. In a way I'm glad the people living in them are there and away from me.

I guess they're a symptom of the increasingly selfish, fearful, individualistic society we've become. Let's hope they choke to death on their own wealth!

...maybe thats a bit much.

I remember an episode of the twilight zone where a family moved into a 'safe' community. The rebelious daughter soon found out they were killing the people who didn't conform. It's wasn't often you found such realism in that show.
Posted by spendocrat, Tuesday, 6 February 2007 12:03:56 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Gated communities is soooooooo American and sooooo unAustralian. I can't even think of an unsafe suburb where I really fear for my life here in oz. People from overseas say things like: "the thing i love about Australia is you can walk around the cities by yourself and feel safe". So I don't think the appeal of a gated community is protection from crime.Maybe people living within a gated community like to feel exclusive and privileged.
Posted by davo, Tuesday, 6 February 2007 2:29:52 PM
I might actually correct myself and say: gated communities are so Brazilian and South African. Gated communities in these countries are popular as a form of protection against the high crime rates. In other countries such as the U.s , gated communities are more of a display of prestige, since the suburbs they are built in are safe anyway.
Posted by davo, Saturday, 10 February 2007 11:28:19 AM
I lived in a gated community and it was not safe because the Landlord sexually harassed me and my younger female flatmates. He would not fix anything while we had visitors (invited because we knew he was coming).
I have been against the idea of churning up native bush and arable land for golf courses. However there is a push for Golf Courses to abide by environmental guidelines in Australia. It is called the AGCSA initiative and can be found under www.agcsa.com.au I recently read this through surfing on links from the Qld EPA website about a golf course that uses its own sustainable watering system.
Posted by blueblackandGreen, Monday, 21 May 2007 6:57:41 PM
Thanks for the heads up about the golf link. The east coast gated communites and golf courses do seem to go hand in hand. If there's a push to make them more environmentally sensitive (especially to native fauna), that's a positive.

I'm surprised than more isn't written about gated communities as there will be more of them as the boomers start to retire. They're a strange phenomenon.

Sorry to hear of your hassles living in a gated community. It's also criminal and you should report him. The notion of safety in a gated community is laughable. Statistically, it's who you know, such as a relative, friend or lover who will 'do you in'.

Phil Spector lived in a gated community in LA but that didn't help the poor woman who he bought back to his mansion.
Posted by Cheryl, Sunday, 3 June 2007 5:22:43 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy