The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Splish splash I was takin' a bath > Comments

Splish splash I was takin' a bath : Comments

By Skeletor Papathanassiou, published 25/1/2007

Seven pungently expressed reasons to hate the Sydney-Hobart Yacht Race. (Warning: liberally studded with swear words for emphasis.) Best Blogs 2006.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Dear Mr A.J. Monkeynuts 111

Indeed you spotted my sarcasm. But you missed my witticism of which I was more proud.

My unoriginal use of the term vernacular is a throw off at the author's field of expertise, which apparently is the use of spoken English by Black American people, especially their use of the vernacular.

Sigh...I hate being seen as a know all.
Posted by keith, Thursday, 25 January 2007 7:21:26 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I confess to once being one of those out of season media hacks doing SHYR duties and like all Aussie holiday season stories it is a ponderous wank. Suddenly you are talking jibs, genoas and jibberish as though your public is interested enough or ever have a ccess to a racing yacht. It is all envy of rich dudes and high tech reliance. It would be interesting to do an audience measure once the fleet leaves Sydney Heads. It might save taxpayers a packet if the ABC could stop wasting big bucks in helicopters giving us the riviting news of who is 1...21 nautical miles ahead of who in hitting Bass Strait.
Posted by jup, Thursday, 25 January 2007 8:17:21 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hey all you who object to the language: you were warned, just like the yatchies are warned about the seas, and you proceeded into these waters regardless.

Tough.

What I also object to are these round the world 'sex between one consenting adult' types who need to be rescued.

Perhaps every yatchie should be forced to pay a deposit to the authorities to cover the possible cost of rescue before they set off in their ships of fools.

And lets face it - maxi yatchs - built for speed out of the thinest, lightest and least durable material available just for speed and not survivablity: but just strong enough with little or no reserve. Like taking formula one racing cars on the Paris to Dakkar race. No one would allow it in motorsport, so why should it be allowed on the water?
Posted by Hamlet, Thursday, 25 January 2007 9:04:59 PM
Surely yacthies can simply send their Chopper out to rescue, instead of the taxpyer doing so.

I wonder what said yachties say when their vessel is sinking, demasted and so on.

Perhaps "good grief", or "Gosh".
Posted by RobbyH, Friday, 26 January 2007 4:06:53 AM
SHeeesh , Yatch’ies?

If ever next time you see a bull bar on the front of a Motor cruiser, it is not there to fend of Yacht; it is there to protect the ships master from the Yacht'ies arrogance that just oozes off ; Fairdinkum.
Almost like some others in our community.

Next we will have a motor cruiser riot.
Posted by All-, Friday, 26 January 2007 8:14:33 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"good grief" indeed, David M! Those poor yachties, earning less than $200k. Why, they must be lining up for social security to help them support their racing habit. Given that I live in a town where the average wage is $36,000 pa, I confess to having little sympathy (yes I put that comma in the figure to make sure you didnt misread it). And its a reasonably prosperous town. Whilst I found some of the words used unnecessary, I wholly agree with the sentiment. If you want to go out and "test" youself against the elements, dont expect me to help you out of a tight spot (via my tax dollars). There are just so many more worthy causes!
Posted by Country Gal, Sunday, 28 January 2007 10:41:10 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy