The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Splish splash I was takin' a bath > Comments

Splish splash I was takin' a bath : Comments

By Skeletor Papathanassiou, published 25/1/2007

Seven pungently expressed reasons to hate the Sydney-Hobart Yacht Race. (Warning: liberally studded with swear words for emphasis.) Best Blogs 2006.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
People should not debase the expression of the English language and should reframe from by using vernacular expressions in public forums.

People should not name call.

People should not profess hate for others.

Such behaviours just show bad breeding and a lack of adherence to commonly accepted social standards.

If you have a problem with yachties endangering themselves...well just get over it.

I have a problem with us spending billons on an education system that allows people, who are supposedly leaders, to behave outrageously, show complete ignorance of English usage and display unfounded prejudice. I don't spout obscenities, foster hate or ridicule...I just sccept things for what they are and get over it.

Yep I have reasonably high ethical standards and I also own a yacht.
Posted by keith, Thursday, 25 January 2007 10:42:42 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Keith - I can see your sentiments, but I found the article hilarious. And if there's one thing I can't stand, it's discouraging humour - especially when it's politically incorrect.
Even more so when it pokes fun at people who own yachts.

So Keith, I say... tough. If it bothers you, go play with your yacht instead.
Posted by TurnRightThenLeft, Thursday, 25 January 2007 11:07:03 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I am a yachtie and so is my wife. I reject outright the assumptions in this inarticulate piece of class envy about the boating fraternity. Many yachties earn under $200 000 a year and are very much "ordinary Joes". The idea that they deserve to drown is disgusting and personally offensive.

Further, I have struck whales many times in recent years while sailing. This was not a problem when whaling was permitted in earlier decades, and frankly its continuation would have saved us considerable expense.
Posted by David M, Thursday, 25 January 2007 11:15:54 AM
That is SO unfair. He gets to swear, and us posters are totally restricted. Let me swear. I wanna I wanna I wanna!
Posted by spendocrat, Thursday, 25 January 2007 12:16:56 PM
I laughed too. Fairly even distribution of chuckling over the article and the comments.

Skeletor neglected to note that apparently yachties lack a sense of humour. Maybe all that washing down the decks with testosterone takes it out of them.
Posted by chainsmoker, Thursday, 25 January 2007 1:49:08 PM
Well Mr Papathanassiou, this really tightens my jaw. I absolutely agree with the outrage expressed by Keith. To quote my learned friend, you “should reframe from by using vernacular expressions in public forums.” Whilst I am not certain what this means, Keith is an expert in the debasement of the English language, so I am quite sure I agree with him, so just get over it. And I am quite sure that Keith’s use of the vernacular “yep” was sarcastic, so get over it.

I too have reasonably high standards, and not only do I own a yacht, I own several racehorses as well. I also play flugelhorn in a natty jazz combo, The Jazzmops. Get over it. Did I say that already?
Posted by Alistair J Monkeynuts III, Thursday, 25 January 2007 1:55:35 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy