The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The Joss Whedon post we-had-to-have, or Joss Whedon and feminism - part one > Comments

The Joss Whedon post we-had-to-have, or Joss Whedon and feminism - part one : Comments

By Deborah Kate, published 16/1/2007

Musings about 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer' from a feminist (and somewhat post-modern cultural studies) perspective. Best Blogs 2006.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All
I can remember a number of specific incidences throughout the series where christianity is dismissed as irrelevant and lacking any power:

-Can't remember the season or episode, but the standard argument about paganism/ wicca being older than Christianity and thus more powerful is employed.

-Reference is made to the unusually large number of churches in Sunnydale, and spoken of as though when so many bad things happen in a town people flock superstitiously to a source of comfort.

-The episode in season four where Buffy and Faith swap bodies, it turns out that Buffy's boyfriend, who has always seemed a bit straightlaced and dullish, goes to church.

-There is an episode in season four where a frat house exhibits dangerous poltergeists. The explanation (and fair enought too) given is that the former matron of the house was a bit of a wowser who made the former residents feel guilty about their sexuality, the repression of which was exhibited in such poltergeists.

This portrayal of religion is typical of the Buffy series. I don't really care about upholding christian values, but I think values of loyalty and friendship (scooby values) transcends religion.

And yes, the main reason we all watched it was it was really-super-cool. No, we're not nerds at all, are we...
Posted by dozer, Monday, 22 January 2007 5:30:10 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy