The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Filling the idle hours of a day ... > Comments

Filling the idle hours of a day ... : Comments

By Rollo Manning, published 24/1/2007

The old world has been taken away from Indigenous Australians: we now have a responsibility to help them frame a new world in which to live.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
Three cheers for one of the best articles I've read on this problem policy area in a long time. The analysis of the article is correct. Sit down money, artificial "Western" lifestyles imposed on a nomadic and still developing people, lack of meaningful roles in their own communities and decisions being made by "do gooder", left-wing, university-trained social workers and other whackers. All of these things have led to a community in crisis.

The difficulty is breaking the cycle. Doing so demands paternalistic action that demands, rather than asks, that Aborigines take on responsibility, learn fundamental skills and do real work. I use the word paternalistic reluctantly, because of its negative connotations, but the reality is that many adult Aborigines have just given up.

Thirty years of teaching the indigenous community that we would rather pay them to do nothing than let them make (and live with) decisions has created a generation whose expectations, attitudes to work and basic values have been warped.

Now, we either "force" them into compliance and participation or we write off an entire generation and concentrate on the kids. I just can't feel happy with that notion.

Thanks for a great article.
Posted by Kevin, Wednesday, 24 January 2007 10:07:54 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Rollo, good article, but people have been saying similar things for years and it only seems to have got a lot worse. I lived in the Territory for four and a half years in the sixties and it certainly isn't the place it was then.

Kevin, it seems to me that we probably need to bite the bullet and produce another "stolen generation" of the kids in a similar manner to the way in which Noel Pearson is working in Queensland.

I know the do gooders will abhor such a suggestion, but the environment in which most of the kids are currently living is not one conducive to learning the skills which they need.

Rollo, It would be interesting to do a study of "The stolen generation" as well as their descendants and find out what percentage of them actually are worse off than their contemporaries who stayed behind in the tribal areas. My bet is, not many.

I remember, a few years ago, they built a new settlement for aboriginies somewhere near Mildura. The local mayor was castigated for making remarks that "Now we will have to educate them to live there". Seems like he may have been right after all.
Posted by VK3AUU, Wednesday, 24 January 2007 3:33:03 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
VK3AUU
I'm not some 'do gooder' going nuts over your suggestion, but you surely cant suggest taking children away from their families in this day and age. A lot of work must be done, with direct involvement in communities and support networks etc. But another stolen generation? Have we not learned a thing?
Posted by spendocrat, Wednesday, 24 January 2007 3:43:44 PM
Spendocrat, I dont think anyone would suggest that we rush into repeating that until a full analysis of the benefits and negatives is done. Whilst it is traumatic and grave thing to happen, there is evidence of those that were subject to this last time, being quite well-off by comparison to those left in their communities. I am about to be attacked for having white paternalistic view I know. But I am not trying downplay the grave and distressing nature of such a thing. As the author says, white children learn from their parents in a society that has spent thousands of years evolving its customs and ways. To expect black parents (particularly in remote communities) to be able to teach this to their kids without knowing it themselves is plain silly, but thats exactly what we have been waiting for to happen. Surprise, it doesnt work. We need to find something that will work (although it will obviously be a long term solution), and be prepared to make some hard decisions (both by the indiginous population and Australia at large).
Posted by Country Gal, Wednesday, 24 January 2007 4:51:01 PM
Why should it be any more traumatic for black kids to be sent away to school. The white kids who are chilren of people who live in far away places have been sent away to boarding schools for years and they seem to survive all right.

As I said previously, just look at the program being run by Noel Pearson. As Country Girl has observed, the current system is not working.

Noel Pearson can be found at http://www.isx.org.au/people/1026013663_2590.html
Posted by VK3AUU, Wednesday, 24 January 2007 11:40:21 PM
Rollo, I have an appreciation of your views (as we often discuss), but I don't go for the often referred to "wishy washy", throw money at the problem, scattergun style, type solutions.
Yes, there is a huge problem, but solutions will only come through the participation of Indigenous persons respected on both sides of the fence. Unfortunately, it's not a small fence.

Tania Major, the young and impressive Criminologist, is one voice the youth will perhaps listen to.
The real problem is that the message simply doesn't get though in a meaningful way. Indigenous politicians, businesspeople and sportspeople that see the bigger picture have in my view an obligation to their people to help improve the appalling living and health standards they endure.

There is precious little evidence to date that collectivly any efforts by the the more fortunate members of the Indigenous community has had any impact at all.
Posted by boydy, Monday, 29 January 2007 10:37:36 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy