The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > So what’s changed since the most recent war? > Comments

So what’s changed since the most recent war? : Comments

By Keith Kennelly, published 11/1/2007

Israel needs to be told it is out of step with world opinion and decency.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. 7
  9. All
keith,

The Palestinians have made such a statement and have taken steps to insure that the war continues. Their peace initiatives only last as long as it takes Syria or Iran to rearm them.

Like the song says. It takes two to tango. There are no innocent party's in the "erase the Jews off the face of the planet" crowd.

The main difference between Israel and Palestine is that Israel needs peace in order to manage employment. Palestinians need the war to keep their people employed.

Palestine is the complete welfare State. It's the only country in the world that has it's own aid/care section with in the U.N. that the G20 keeps pouring money into each and every year.
Posted by aqvarivs, Saturday, 10 February 2007 5:00:43 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Keith: “Wonderful. You finally through all the verbage and justification eventually got my point.”

Through all your verbiage and justification, I get some of your points (though probably not others). I just disagree with most of them.

Keith: “The problam for not making efforts at peace is the Israeli's actions and their continuing 40 year occupation.”

To the extent that I understand that incoherent sentence, I disagree. The problem is not so simple, and cannot be blamed on one side only. If the occupation were the only reason for lack of peace, there would have been peace before the occupation, and thus, no occupation.

Keith: “Oh and have you read Daniels propaganda piece published today.”

No. Who is Daniel? Do you have a link?

MichaelK: “As understood, not only ethnic Jews enter Israel and become Israelis, but even Arabs -not only the Arabs of Palestine- and Muslims are short of local citizenships in a range of Arabic lands-countries of their permanent residence.”

I don’t know if I understand what you’re saying, but:

1) ~20% of Israeli citizens are non-Jews, and most of these are Palestinian Arab Israelis.

2) Non-Jews can certainly enter Israel, apply for citizenship, and receive it.

3) In recent years, many Palestinian Arabs from the West Bank and Gaza gained Israeli citizenship by marrying Arab Israelis. I believe that this particular window to citizenship has since been closed, not out of any bigotry, but because they are citizens of the Palestinian Authority, which is essentially at war with Israel.

Keith: “I came across this quote today…”

See Benny Morris’s analysis of this half-manufactured quote at http://www.tomgrossmedia.com/mideastdispatches/archives/000805.html , “Hari quotes…”

Keith: “And how would you react if the Palestinian President Ismail Haniya was to say…”

How would we? Don’t you mean, how do we? Haniya and his allies say stuff like this all the time.
For example: “We will never recognize the usurper Zionist government and will continue our jihad-like movement until the liberation of Jerusalem.” http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ismail_Haniya#Quotes

See also:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-SV30CWRN8

http://www.philipklein.com/archives/2006/02/hamas_nobel_peace_prize_watch.html

http://www.pmw.org.il/tv-hamas.htm
Posted by sganot, Sunday, 11 February 2007 9:32:03 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Sganot,

You surely understood my message but missed substantial categories of a temporary work force and Muslim/Arabic refugees leaving in Israel illegally too often.

Keith,
I do understand an article and share your belief that the Arabs of Palestine might have their political entity. However, the Palestinian Authority-issued notebooks depict all Palestine as such an entity, which contradicts even known UN resolutions.

That is a trick non-Muslims lobbing for "independent Palestine" usually avoid to air in native languages.
Posted by MichaelK., Monday, 12 February 2007 12:21:48 AM
Aqvarius and sganot.

With regard to that qoute. You both in your rush to criticise forgot to check the date of the original quote. It was said by a Jewish leader about the Palestinians in 1937.

It has obviously served as an example to later generations of Palestinians.

You blokes are simply defending the indefensible and sowing the seeds of Israel's own eventual destruction. A wiser course would be to seek a just peace for both sides.

MichaelK
Ok I accept your point and agree such action is reprehensible. Michael you need to be consistant. How many of Israeli's actions contradict UN resolutions...blatantly. Would you like a list? Do you have the courage to condemn all of them also
Posted by keith, Saturday, 24 February 2007 1:21:51 PM
Keith,

With reference to your explanations, I regret an imperfect translation of a slogan common in many languages: "Having a neighbour being a fool makes one no more consoled".

Although Israel had instated the Palestinian self-rule by pull-out settlers from Gaza already, this stopped no missiles falling on the Israeli civilians in frontier places.
Posted by MichaelK., Sunday, 25 February 2007 1:47:23 AM
Keith, I brought a link quoting Benny Morris as saying that half of the quote is from 1937. Really, I'm curious how you concluded from this that I “forgot to check the date”?

It appears that in your rush to justify your use of a half-manufactured quote, you ignored what Morris wrote:

"Hari quotes David Ben-Gurion as saying in 1937: ‘I support…’ The first part of the quote (‘I support compulsory transfer’) is genuine; the rest (‘The Arabs will have to go ... such as a war’) is an invention, pure and simple, either by Hari or by whomever he is quoting (Ilan Pappe?) It is true that Ben-Gurion in 1937-38 supported the transfer of the Arabs out of the area of the Jewish state-to-be – which was precisely the recommendation of the British Royal (Peel) Commission from July 1937, which investigated the Palestine problem. The commission concluded that the only fair settlement was by way of partition, with the Jews receiving less than 20 per cent of Palestine, but that, for it to be viable, the 20 per cent should be cleared of potentially hostile, disloyal Arabs. (Britain, incidentally, at the end of World War II supported the expulsion to Germany of the German Sudeten minority, which had helped Hitler destroy and occupy Czechoslovakia – for precisely the same reasons.) The Arabs, then and later, rejected the principle of partition as well as the specific Peel proposals.

"Neither Ben-Gurion nor the Zionist movement ‘planned’ the displacement of the 700,000-odd Arabs who moved or were removed from their homes in 1948. There was no such plan or blanket policy. Transfer was never adopted by the Zionist movement as part of its platform; on the contrary, the movement always accepted that the Jewish state that arose would contain a sizeable Arab minority."

Keith: "...defending the indefensible and sowing the seeds of Israel's own eventual destruction. A wiser course would be to seek a just peace for both sides."

You are simply make stuff up, out of thin air. A just peace for both sides is exactly what I seek.
Posted by sganot, Sunday, 25 February 2007 4:01:19 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy