The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The Paris phenomenon > Comments

The Paris phenomenon : Comments

By Mirko Bagaric, published 9/1/2007

Lessons to learn from Paris Hilton - individuality and self-belief are the way to go.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
Might I suggest a majority of these google searches were men looking for a copy of "that"video??

I dont disagree with the general message of the article. The less you care about what other people think of you, the happier you'll be. Of course this can only go so far - if you're going to engage in criminal activities, then you had better pay some attention to what others think of this - you WILL be judged, and rightly so. However, stop trying to keep up with the Jones's, or win the acclaim of all-and-sundry. If you conduct your life to win the approval of others, you never will. The more you try to help others, the more help you seem to receive yourself, the better you will feel about yourself, and the happier you'll be. If you follow Paris's lead you'll wind up in a very lonely world - if you dont care enough to help someone else, why should you expect someone to hold help you when you are down.

Paris Hilton is a bad example. I suggest most people dont like her, they envy her. More than anything, they envy her money. Yes, there are richer people, but most of these got their money through their hard work (Bill Gates), and they seem to prefer their work over the money itself. Paris however, has enough money and lack of work drive, that she does as she pleases. People dont admire that she does this, they envy it. And they follow closely what she does, not because they're happy for her, but because they're enviously watching for some fall from grace, behaviour that is too outlandish to accept (although conservatives like me think that most of her behaviour is unacceptable now). Even when this happens, people are hungry enough for bad news that they will lap-up any sordid details. Then they can say "look, she is bad, that must make me a good person because I dont do THAT". And they will feel self-righteously better for a while, then will deep down feel worse about themselves than ever.
Posted by Country Gal, Tuesday, 9 January 2007 10:02:35 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Agreed, Country Gal. Gossip, and especially damaging gossip, is an important way for us to set and maintain standards of behaviour. People watch Paris because they need to condemn, not to emulate.
Posted by chainsmoker, Tuesday, 9 January 2007 10:26:40 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I just googled shieet-stirrer and, among others, Mirko Bargaric came up. Thanks for the thought provocations. You're always worthy of a read Mirko.

"A true measure of your worth includes all the benefits others have gained from your success." - Cullen Hightower

("Remove the profanity!" Gee Graham it's 2007. Insults that are purely intended to harm are more profane than harmless language not intended to harm character or unfairly one's works. Indeed, its a complement to a true journalist. Ah forget it!)

Bye the way, I think the interest in Paris stems from the wealthy classes and the media moguls. The neo-royalty only have interest in their own special class regardless of any qualities that they fall short on or any dysfunctional behaviours they display. That's the tragedy of Australians - they don't question the new royalty and the naff crew that promote them.

Those that do are hated for taking the first steps and when they do eventually agree they want them to bugger off because those that stirred the pot in the first place remind people of how foolish they have been. I draw attention to the die-hard greenies who warned us of the consequences years ago abandoning conservation measures.

Nah! Christina Amphlett still does the trick for real men.
Posted by ronnie peters, Tuesday, 9 January 2007 5:32:53 PM
I do my very best to ignore Ms Hilton, but she was difficult to miss when the network news ran footage of pre-pubescent children (of both genders) running up and embracing her outside her Sydney hotel as if she were a *beloved aunt*.
Posted by MickMac, Wednesday, 10 January 2007 12:17:20 AM
Never googled her yet. I feel special!
Posted by TNT, Thursday, 25 January 2007 8:32:30 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy