The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Best blog posts '06 > Comments

Best blog posts '06 : Comments

By Ken Parish and Nicholas Gruen, published 2/1/2007

How do you select the best blog posts of 2006?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All
The answers to Jennifer's queries are that it was a spur of the moment decision to do this feature. The iniative came from Nicholas Gruen, who is the chair of The National Forum, and is a joint undertaking with Nicholas and Ken and the others from Club Troppo. My understanding was that Troppo was just going to publish a list, but that they then came up with the idea of publishing the whole of the original post on OLO so as to expose the pieces to a wider audience. I didn't know we were doing it until a few days before Christmas, and I'm grateful to Ken and Nicholas for the idea and doing the work of pulling it together in the first place.

In discussions with Nicholas I understood that the list would be left open during January with the possibility of adding blog posts to it, so that it would be to some extent a work in progress. OLO was inviting submissions over the Christmas/New Year break.

It's been billed as an annual event, so hopefully next year we'll be geared-up much earlier. We might even be able to find a sponsor to provide prizes.
Posted by GrahamY, Tuesday, 2 January 2007 5:17:45 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
From an oldie with a post-grad in the general social sciences, including Honours in Third World Problems, as well as praised for insight from American tutors, do feel the use of blogs has become a codism by-passing precious historical insight and commonsense and leaving the running of our Western world in the hands and minds of not the real thinkers but more the manipulators of modern techno' methodology, meaning that though memory is retained, depth of memory is not, thus neither is deep reasoning and insight.

Certainly our present unipolar leaders seem to be severely suffering from it.
Posted by bushbred, Thursday, 4 January 2007 11:06:53 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
If there's any spaces left for best blog posts of 2006, I'd like to suggest a post by Tim Sterne:

http://sternezine.blogspot.com/2006/09/what-im-not-reading.html

Being a selfish egomaniacal glory hog, I'd also like to propose a post of my own:

http://willtypeforfood.blogspot.com/2006/02/writing-book-review-for-age.html

Thank you.
Posted by TimT, Saturday, 13 January 2007 11:18:26 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I've come a bit late to this discussion, but if I can still add a suggestion ...

Rodney Croome's piece about the passing of Richard Carleton was one of my best blog reads last year:

http://www.rodneycroome.id.au/weblog?id=P2112
Posted by w, Wednesday, 24 January 2007 9:34:32 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy