The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Do we do it? You bet! Condoms? Hmm ... > Comments

Do we do it? You bet! Condoms? Hmm ... : Comments

By Jane Rankin-Reid, published 4/1/2007

Sampling beliefs about HIV prevention among Delhi’s young adults, turning up a curious reflection of sexual taboos.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
Wow. This is why education is so important. If people are "mature" enough to have sex, they're mature enough to know how STIs are transmitted.

"Can you trust a guy who thinks you’re demonstrating that you don’t trust him by asking him to put on a condom?"

Exactly. Its like a young guy trying to convince a girl to have sex with him saying "if you don't have sex with me, you don't love me." The appropriate response should be "if you don't respect my desire not to have sex, you don't love me."

Personally I like Uganda's approach to sex education. Abstinence before marriage, monogamy thereafter, and if not willing to do either, use a condom. Their AIDS rate has dropped dramatically by this simple combination of safer sex and abstinence messages.

P.S. Not sure how relevant this is, but I thought it was interesting. I saw a documentary on tv about condom awareness amongst Aboriginal communities. Youth there commented that they were uncomfortable talking about condoms with parents/buying them from shops, and that they would be more comfortable buying them from "their cousins" and other older friends. So marketers started a campaign where younger people were selling condoms and using innuendos about "snakes" and "bushes" to make them cool enough to buy.
Posted by YngNLuvnIt, Thursday, 4 January 2007 2:01:55 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Okay so its okay for a woman to tell a man what he should do with his body but when it comes to murdering the unborn men should not have a say
Posted by runner, Thursday, 4 January 2007 4:19:31 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
She's not telling him what to do with his body, she's telling him what she will (or will not) do with her own. If they're just dating, the guy is free to date someone else who is happy to have sex with him. I just think the whole "if you love me, you would..." thing is ridiculous.
Re: abortion- I think both men and women should have a say because it takes a man and a woman to bring a human fetus into the world. That's the same reason I think both should have a say as to whether or not it ceases to live.
Posted by YngNLuvnIt, Thursday, 4 January 2007 5:09:41 PM
Runner, you're slipping. I see it took a whole two hours for you to figure out how to turn a blog about HIV in India into yet another platform for your own agenda.
Posted by Romany, Saturday, 6 January 2007 9:00:43 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy