The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > US tinge to our history > Comments

US tinge to our history : Comments

By George Williams, published 29/12/2006

How would Australians go at a citizenship test like the one proposed for new migrants?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
Dear Readers,

Professor Williams is a member of the Australian Labor Party who is actively seeking pre-selection. Everything that the good Professor writes must be understood with that fact firmly in mind.
Posted by The Skeptic, Friday, 29 December 2006 11:33:01 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I've got an idea, let's just ALL be bad Australians, but good people! Last time I checked, the world was sphere shaped. As long as that remains the case, I see no need to identify ourselves by where we happened to be born.
Posted by spendocrat, Friday, 29 December 2006 12:15:00 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Thank God, The Skeptic has outed Professor Williams as a member of the ALP, and warned us that everything that Williams writes "must be understood with that fact firmly in mind". We could so easily have been fooled with his dangerous ideas

Until Skeptic's timely warning I only knew Williams as the Director of the Centre of Public Law at the University of NSW - and before that as an academic at ANU and at universities in Toronto, New York and London. Oh, yes, I nearly forgot, I heard that he has written 11 books and edited 8 others. And been an Associate Associate to Justice McHugh of the High Court and appeared as a barrister in a number of important High Court cases.

So we readers are deeply grateful to The Skeptic. Without his warning, we may have been seduced into thinking that Williams knew something about constitutional law and public policy and could write objectively on those topics. Just goes to show: you can't be too careful whose ideas you read.

Now it's time for The Skeptic to out those other closet party members like Kevin Donnelly, David Flint, Gerard Henderson, Andrew Bolt and Des Moore. If I knew what political party they belong to I could understand their articles with that fact firmly in mind. What about it Skeptic?
Posted by FrankGol, Friday, 29 December 2006 2:12:52 PM
So a member of the Labor Party reckons we should know how our system works. What rubbish will the ALP come up with next? Probably something stupid like public health and education. Sneaky devils.
Posted by chainsmoker, Friday, 29 December 2006 3:44:22 PM
Shock, horror the last opinion poll I saw had the ALP 11% points in front of the rodents government. Could this possibly mean that there are more people around who just happen to know what is going on....ummmmm
Posted by SHONGA, Friday, 29 December 2006 3:59:23 PM
Thanks FrankGol for your usual injection of sanity into the thread. I generally agree with Williams' analysis, despite (or regardless of) the fact that he is apparently a preselected ALP candidate.

As expressed here, his views would be attractive to this voter if I happened to live in his electorate. I would give his party my second preference, behind the Greens.
Posted by CJ Morgan, Friday, 29 December 2006 9:19:06 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy