The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The new statesman > Comments

The new statesman : Comments

By Peter Van Onselen, published 6/12/2006

Monday’s leadership ballot delivered the result Labor needed.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
I wish Mr Rudd well. I hope Ms Gillard continues her English language lessons so that eventually when she speaks we'll understand what it is she is saying.
Posted by Sage, Wednesday, 6 December 2006 11:22:35 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Sage,
Both Rudd and Gillard speak well both are university graduates, he a former diplomat, she a solicitor. I hope they at least return the ALP to a decent opposition, who knows if they can come up with some easily understood transparent policies they may even form the next government.
Posted by SHONGA, Wednesday, 6 December 2006 11:33:05 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yes Shonga I know. Did Mr Rudd tell you he can speak Mandarin? Both Rudd and Gillard are human beings as well but not so long ago being a human being was a fact that didn't matter.

A few years back people had to take a number and wait in a queue to criticise a redhead from Queensland for the way she spoke. Myrmidons such as Adams, Marr, Margo, Maxine, O'Brien and Carlton just to name a few took great delight in lampooning that redhead. Now another redhead appears on the scene and because she is from the ALP we're expected to show reverence.

One thing I'm blessed with is a working memory.
Posted by Sage, Wednesday, 6 December 2006 12:03:25 PM
I can hardly wait to see the liberal uglies - many who claim Christianity which is sad - do to try to destroy Rudd and his deputy. Remember the incredible job the lying, deceitful liberal mafia did on Keating and his pig farm, then there was Pauline followed by Cheryl not forgetting the High Court Judge and-yes! There have been others. But of course! honest? john knew nothing of these foul deeds and how could a politician with such high standards of integrity and honesty - he just doesn't know how to lie - not forgetting his unfailing decency be a part of such sleazy actions. Interesting times are ahead for us all. Yes, Yes I know some neanderthals will just put me down as a howard hater but what's new? Regards, numbat
Posted by numbat, Wednesday, 6 December 2006 2:41:51 PM
Ninbat,
Not at all, Pauline was the only one who did not have the grasp of the English language to defend herself. She is and was a racist bigot, who got what she so rightfully deserved. The little rodent will hopefully get what he so rightly deserves next year.

Back to Rudd and Gillard, both are very able people, though I must say they need to be to make up for lost time. The ALP in Australia has been an irrelevant force for years, I like what I have heard of Rudd's ideas, bringing politics back to the centre ground, instead of being stuck out in the extreme right. But like all things the proof of the pudding is in the eating, we will have to wait and see what they come up with.

I think after 10 long years of the little rodent [not my words] as in the case with Keating, they would vote for Lassie, if she had a few good policies.
Posted by SHONGA, Wednesday, 6 December 2006 3:31:09 PM
I'd like to know who decided politics in this country should be dictated by opinion columnists.

A journalist's job is to report the news, yes? It's nothing new for them to give preference to the side Murdoch/Packer is rooting for at a given time, but for the pure personal opinions of a protected few to be practically running the country is disgusting, no matter whose side they're on.

Most of them carry on about elites in ivory towers when they themselves are clearly elites in paper towers. Or airwave towers. Whatever.

What right do they have to dictate what they think we should believe, what Kevid Rudd should do, or who we should vote for? They deserve all the credibility of Jerry Springer, which is zilch.
Posted by chainsmoker, Wednesday, 6 December 2006 4:09:33 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy