The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Swan song of the Bomber > Comments

Swan song of the Bomber : Comments

By Keir Semmens, published 4/12/2006

The challenge that Labor had to have: they must turn to a new leader to carry the fight to Howard.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
Somewhere in the deepest jungles of Politicana, our two brave heroes face horrific trials and tribulations, navigating a path through uncharted territory to save the mighty peoples of Utopia from the nasty tyrannical ruler How-Ard. The jungle drums are beating. They discuss their strategy -

Gizzard - "You go first."

Rubb - "I don't know, it might be a bit dangerous."

Gizzard - "No, you'll be right."

Rubb - "So why don't you go first?"

Gizzard - "I wouldn't be so presumptuous. Besides, as a feminist, it isn't proper for women to go first anymore."

Rubb - "No, I guess not. But what if it all goes wrong?"

Gizzard - "Don't worry, I'll be right behind you all of the time, trust me!"

Rubb - "Thanks. But, please DO be careful with that big knife of yours, won't you?"

Gizzard - "Sure, not a problem, I know EXACTLY what I'm doing..."
Posted by Maximus, Monday, 4 December 2006 9:56:04 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yep. It's quite amusing actually... Rudd really should have waited until after the next election.

I'm happy that he's having a crack at the bomber. I'd prefer Rudd to be in charge, though the most likely course of events now is that Rudd will ascend the throne, be defeated at the next election, then the infighting will begin again... where gillard will be in prime position.

It's a bit comedic really. Every time the party totters, the knives are unsheathed. Poor Rudd hasn't timed this well.

I'm reasonably sanguine however. Whilst I want howard ousted, I haven't really had much hope about that occurring at the next election. Gillard should do better next time round.
Posted by TurnRightThenLeft, Monday, 4 December 2006 10:28:06 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I hate to hark back to the days of Bill Hayden but a drovers dog could lead the ALP to victory if they play their cards right.

They certainly have enough ammunition given to them by the current government.

If Rudd et al push enough sensible polices out there the leadership should become irrelevant -

a nation that elects a leader just because they actually like him to government deserves to get a donkey much as they have in the USA - we want ideas and a plan not just some neo presidential ponce who merely rabbits on about vision and new direction -

There is still life in the IR laws - people are slowly waking up to the garbage peddled about values and Islamism - and the government is quietly turning those poor bastards they incarcerated for political reasons back into the community - and then there is the war - there's plenty the ALP can still smack the government with
Posted by sneekeepete, Monday, 4 December 2006 11:08:03 AM
Dear Fellow Pundits,

Perhaps Kevin Rudd fears that Australia just can't afford to lose another election to Howard's meanness re: refugees, poor people (both the working poor in Oz and the starving poor in Africa), the environment, and other issues. It's better than being cynical, sitting back and waiting for the next election loss. Good luck to him.

Tomess
Posted by Tomess, Monday, 4 December 2006 11:17:58 AM
The die is cast and we now have a new opposition leader. Much negative comment has been levelled at Mr. Beasley over the past twelve months and more, but rather than being a failure of leader, it may have been more a failure of Beasley's team. Personally, I believe that Kim Beasley was a fine and decent man with only the best interests of Labor voters and the Australian population in mind. In that regard, I wish him well in whatever direction his life now takes him and that this weeks cascade of events allows him more time with his wife and family as he so greatly desired.
Posted by Wildcat, Monday, 4 December 2006 11:59:51 AM
Wildcat, I couldn't agree with you more. Beasley is a man to be respected and I've held him in high regard since he was Minister of Defence, however long ago that was.

Distressingly, I've just read on The Australian website, that his Brother David passed away overnight in Perth. It's certainly a dark time for a good upstanding Australian. My thoughts are with him today.
Posted by Maximus, Monday, 4 December 2006 12:24:07 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy