The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The tangled web of Middle Eastern alliances > Comments

The tangled web of Middle Eastern alliances : Comments

By Peter Coates, published 18/12/2006

The state of play in the Middle East with the uncertainty of US withdrawal from Iraq.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. All
To Logic

First, I am deeply shocked concerning your attitude to Iran. I am not in love with the nation, but as a scientist with honours, and a deep interest in a middle-road view, I look to nations like Iran to be free to support battling Arab nations, especially as she has never attacked other nations unless attacked herself - and in that regard possibly less said about Pax Americana and former Pax Britannica the better.

As mentioned in my last Post, an attack on Iran could set the whole Middle East aflame, possibly bringing in outside nations.

You talk about wanting discussion, Logic. By the look of it, your logic appears far too dangerously warlike to invite a sensible get together.

You seem over obsessed with the Jewish problem, which most social scientists I have mixed with have been much milder about - though some have pointed our how Israel has been content to stay under the wing of America - and in the long run could indeed influence her protector the wrong way.

Don’t know what your background is, mine simply is, going on 86, brought up on a wheat and sheep farm, forced to leave school early in the Depression to help on the property, five years in the army, then back in the bush again till retirement.

On yours, I must say I am still totally in the dark.

Finishing on Israel, the US might have been following the wrong track ever since she allowed Israel to illegally go atomic. Also it is astounding how the news of Israel’s nuclear engineering was supposed to have been kept a secret for so long?

As a free-thinking social scientist, Logic, I believe I should be allowed to have my own views on the Middle East problems, which I am sure will never be solved by attacking Iran. Just look what has happened with Iraq.

This is my last Post for a while, especially regarding the Middle East. Got this damned single-desk schemozzle to thing about. My pension comes from the farm.

Happy Christmas to you and the family.
Posted by bushbred, Monday, 25 December 2006 12:11:06 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
bushbred

I do appreciate your comments on Iran. But I have never advocated attacking either Iran or Iraq. I just consider Iran dangerous, regardless of its earlier history. As to the appropriate solution I have no idea. I rather hope that the moderates in Iran can overthrow the Islamic extremists with their hateful and unpopular regime.

Regarding the US I think their international politics are often on the wrong track. Israel has to act in what it considers its interests - as to whether what it is doing is correct or not is another matter. Israelis are motivated by a justifiable fear.

Regarding the Jewish problem I am Jewish from ancestors who arrived in Australia in the 19th century. I have no holocaust background but I do have a vested interest in Australia remaining a country which gave Jews completely equal rights, in fact was the first to do so.

I am 65 and an electrical engineer with a small business of my own. Because of continuing good health and a family genetic of longevity I expect to continue working for quite a few years. Only some of my friends are Jewish.

I wish you a happy Christmas and best of wishes in the new year.
Posted by logic, Monday, 25 December 2006 6:38:45 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy