The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Busting the boomers > Comments

Busting the boomers : Comments

By Damian Jeffree, published 27/11/2006

Baby boomers may have to give up some of their ill-gotten gains to achieve a more equitable future.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. 7
  9. All
Further to that...

In case what I've said has made Spider's hackles rise on the mistaken assumption that I'm just another greedy hoarder. I am 58. I own half of one humble house in a regional area. I have inadequate superannuation for my retirement and I plan to work until at least 70 if my health holds out.

Two of my children have jobs and are doing well, buying their own homes, at ages 30 and 31. As to the other one, my spouse and I between us are servicing a loan to pay for his education, secured by the equity in our house. Our key objective in life is to see that our three children do the best in life that they can. We have made many sacrifices throughout our lives to ensure this happens and will continue to do so.

It is possible Spider that you have not been so fortunate in your parents. If so, it's time to stop looking for scapegoats elsewhere and deal with your personal issues.

I'd say most Baby Boomers are like me, doing the best they can to survive in old age while putting as much of their resources as they can into ensuring the well being of the next generation. It would be nice to have a little more support from the government however that is no longer the world we live in. Australia is fast becoming a cut throat economy like the US where people have to beg for the money for an operation to save their loved one's life.

Regards, Wal
Posted by wallabystirfry, Wednesday, 6 December 2006 7:40:50 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Ah Spider “A cap must be placed on property investors so that they own no more than two houses/flats/units. It is all about being equitable and what is truly, the 'fair go'.”

Is that one of the planks in your platform of “fascist” reforms ?

(recalling from your previous posts the mysterious political organization which you cannot name or talk about because it is still a “work in progress")

Since you concede to mention it here I assume it has been fully formulated.

So

Those who already own more than two properties, are their “excess of titles” to be compulsory purchased or simply expropriated by the state?

If they are to be “expropriated by the state” (recalling what happened to Jews in Germany in the mid 1930s) what is to be done with the proceeds of expropriation?

If they are to be compensated, how is such compensation to be funded? Maybe a fuel levy, Joan Kirner chose that when she raped the public to fund her governments deceit over its handling of Pyramid.

Who will “finance” the rental property market?

Forcing investors out of the rental property market, will result in an immediate reduction in the supply of rental housing which will lead to price increases, just look at bananas.
How much do you expect rental property rates to increase?

As for your suggestion that baby boomers “who turn to dust whatever they touch. Destroying families, housing, freedoms, liberties, industry, the list goes on.”

At this time the baby boomers are the parents and grandparents who brought children into the world, creating the families, not destroying them.

The baby boomers, according to you, are the owners of all the housing, so why would they be destroying that?

I believe people should be free to own whatever they want. You are the one who demands “A cap must be placed on property” so who is destroying “freedom and liberty”?

“Industry” is in a constant state of change, it is called “progress”, the alternative is “stagnation”.

Billie, Nice to see you and I standing on common ground.
Posted by Col Rouge, Wednesday, 6 December 2006 7:41:24 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
He seems to have done it again, challenge a Policy statement by Spider, ask a question which requires more than a jingoistic one line answer; he abandons the debate and heads for the hills.

He has gone from an extremely strident position of suggesting to deny ordinary folk the right to invest as they see fit – by limiting them to a maximum of 2 real estate property titles (I should have asked if a couple are allowed 4 or is the 2 per family unit?), to not responding with some fairly direct questions about the immediate outcomes and obvious consequences of such a policy.

I am not sure which political group/party/movement he represents, I have asked him before and he evaded declaring the name of the “fascist” organization (he has previously admitted it is supposedly “fascist” in origin) which he is aligned with.

Well I guess one day we might find out who he is with, maybe when they are marching down Collins and Pitt Streets in a show of national solidarity or organizing torch lit processions to the rousing music of LRB (maybe not, some how marching in black or brown uniforms to “Time for a cool change” just does not do it).

In the mean time I guess it is “Democracy” as usual. As Old Winston (the fascists’ nemesis) said “Democracy is the worst form of government, except for every other form which has been tried”.
Posted by Col Rouge, Thursday, 7 December 2006 11:42:55 PM
Col, settle down with a stiff whiskey or what ever it takes to relax your nerves, mate.

I'll let you know this; there is no actual 'political organisation' for there is no reason for form such an organisation until time is right. This stops those such as yourself from going on a a witch hunt like Tony Abbott did the the Westralian Democrats and the Hanson/Etteridge duo. No, we are not going to allow the powerfully corrupt organisations from making us political prisoners for their own ego's.

I was supposed to be a forerunner but I have taken a back seat for I have a degenerative neurological illness which has seen me less able to do things than I use two years ago. My wife now works and studies due to my health. So, it is unlikely you will ever see me running for office which is a shame for I was looking forward to putting the elites on the streets for all the ridicule and shame.

As for your Nazi-Jew comments, you need to attend less Semite party nights and release that holding atleast some fascist beliefs, does not equal Nazism. Yet, I see you unable to fathom commonsense in your tiny world of political paranoia.
Posted by Spider, Friday, 8 December 2006 6:22:14 PM
Oh Spider, you must be a legend in your own lunchtime.

Re “No, we are not going to allow the powerfully corrupt organisations from making us political prisoners for their own ego's.”

What a hoot, nothing like your paranoia to build conspiracies on, of course the up side – you have just created your own instant justification for failure, blame it on those “powerfully corrupt organizations” or your degenerative illness. Personally, I rarely think on my medical challenges, it is belittling to dwell on them.

In the mean time, maybe you will answer the questions I raised about restricted property ownership – will you expropriate or compensate ?

And what will either happen to the proceeds or how will the compensation be funded?

So you were a “Forerunner”, looks like you slipped on your own shoe laces. Despite illness there must be more than you and your wife in your organisation, maybe not, seems a sad notion of an “organization”, at least your policy sessions should be easy to produce, no one else to argue the toss (or give a toss).

You are the one who called your organization “fascist” in the first place, or would you like me to fetch the exact reference to remind you?

So do not complain if I draw the obvious parallels, especially when you are talking about curtailing the democratic freedom of property ownership and what happened to the property of certain people in “fascist” Germany in the 1930s. Hitler funded his politics off the property (and gold teeth) of his victims, who is to say you would not do similar through the perversion of your rationalized “fascist” motives?

As for “in your tiny world of political paranoia”,
I identify publicly and proudly with the Australian Liberal Party and The British Conservative party.
You on the other hand, refuse to identify, by name, this “fascist organization” which you claim to have been a onetime “forerunner” for because you fear being made a “political prisoner” of “powerfully corrupt organisations” (your words above).

From where I sit, the “paranoia” would seem to be - all yours.
Posted by Col Rouge, Friday, 8 December 2006 8:46:00 PM
Col, I'm not going to enter into childish tit for tat tantrums with you. I'll leave that with you.

I tell you that I was once a member of the Liberal Party and I was part of the background within John Howard's factional support. You never saw my house with family photo's of John and his family sent to me by John Howard himself. Yes, those days are gone for I refuse to support Howard in any fashion anymore because who thought he would be a feudalistic PM.

You can ridicule my neulogical illness as much as you like for it only proves how Liberals are pushing the disabled into the gutter for you see us as rubbish to be tossed aside. While you lot behave like this, don't go calling me a Nazi.
Posted by Spider, Friday, 8 December 2006 11:42:26 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy