The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The corporate and economic reasons for war > Comments

The corporate and economic reasons for war : Comments

By Chris Shaw, published 10/11/2006

No dispute ever had to fly the conference table and take to arms. War is the greatest card-trick in history.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 22
  10. 23
  11. 24
  12. All
Message to the Congress of the United States
http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2006/11/20061109-10.html

... In accordance with [Section 202(d) of the National Emergencies Act (50 U.S.C 1622(d))], I have sent the enclosed notice to the Federal Register for publication, stating that the Iran emergency declared in Executive Order 12170 on November 14, 1979, is to continue in effect beyond November 14, 2006.

Our relations with Iran have not yet returned to normal, and the process of implementing the January 19, 1981, agreements with Iran is still underway. For these reasons, I have determined that it is necessary to continue for 1 year the national emergency declared on November 14, 1979, with respect to Iran.

GEORGE W. BUSH
THE WHITE HOUSE,
November 9, 2006.

(This is part of the actual text of the message sent)
Posted by David Latimer, Saturday, 11 November 2006 1:10:40 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
ROckin', Chris Shaw, that much truth should carry a mental health warning for the sheltered and unwary. Its liberating to read and speak the plain god awful truth, heres hoping you start a new trend in Aus media.
Posted by Liam, Saturday, 11 November 2006 9:23:17 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Chris, just a couple of things, the section in the article 'To divide and conquer - turn up the noise' seemed a little out of place.. some of the article is perhaps a bit too firey and maybe undermines (so to speak) the good clear topic that you raised at the start..

I reckon you might like these links:

http://money.cnn.com/2006/03/31/news/companies/intro_f500_fortune/index.htm

http://www.forbes.com/2006/03/29/06f2k_worlds-largest-public-companies_land.html

cheers.
Posted by Ev, Saturday, 11 November 2006 10:15:03 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It is well documented the close association between the Managerial elite in some countries and corporate company's linked with the creation of war machines and weaponry.

Business and shares in these company's would not be lucrative without war!
Posted by Suebdootwo, Saturday, 11 November 2006 11:41:02 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I thought this article had alot of merit, however, I also thought that some of the research and articulation could have been alot better.

Wars have long been fought for economic reasons. The US civil war is a prime example of this. However, the Roman sacking of Carthage through to the invasion of Iraq and Afganistan have all had an economic element. Chris Shaw should be congratulated for grabing the bull by the horns.
Posted by ChrisC, Saturday, 11 November 2006 12:09:25 PM
"The answer is to peel back the layers of corporate secrecy."

Chris I could'nt agree more, but how is this to be achieved unless we have a requirement that wealth and tax records be in the public domain.

Naive as this might sound I feel it is imperative that those of us who laud your insights lobby politicians for just such legislation.

I look forward to your next contribution after a well deserved rest.
Posted by fdixit, Saturday, 11 November 2006 12:21:04 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 22
  10. 23
  11. 24
  12. All