The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Tolerance means thinking carefully before speaking > Comments

Tolerance means thinking carefully before speaking : Comments

By Jennifer Sinclair, published 8/11/2006

Tolerance has to be defended and reasserted when fundamentalist views appear to disregard it.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. All
Forrest Gumpp
Thank you for your kind words.
C
Posted by Cornflower, Saturday, 11 November 2006 4:56:11 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Boaz,

You missed the point.
Truth is relative and can be easily manipulated by any individual to make a point.
In my previous comment to you, if Sheikh Ahmed Deedat used his previous religious debates to prove his 'truth' that Christianity and the bible is fraud, I am sure he will fall under the same law.

Everyone have his/ her own version of the truth which they should be happy with. The issue arises when a truth believer A does not like Truth believerB. 99% of Muslims don't know about Wahhabism and Nasekh wal mansoukh. The same goes for 99% of christians who don't know the history of the bible, how the gospels were collected and how the trinity was created.

How is it that educating muslim majority on Wahhabism or Christians on the bloody history of what they were told to be a peaceful religion will help human causes in the future?

It can only lead to chaos.

Peace,
Posted by Fellow_Human, Sunday, 12 November 2006 2:29:55 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
To tolerate means 'to put up with'!

The problem is that there is no requirement or obligation when tolerating that we be respectful, polite or nice.
Posted by Jolanda, Sunday, 12 November 2006 8:06:13 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Trueaussie: you argued that this tolerance will lead to terrorism problems like Britain:

You're drawing a parallel without anything to really back it up.

For starters, I could just as easily argue that it is simply western targets that are targeted for terrorism.

Which are the three most 'western' western nations right now? the US, Britain and Australia. So logically, Britain is bigger and it would therefore draw more terrorist plots... not necessarily a result of multicultural policies, but perhaps as a result of a hatred of western society within fundamentalist islam sects.

Or, I could just as easily draw your conclusion based on geographic boundaries. Britain is located in Europe, and is more accessible.

Fair enough, some of the alleged terrorist activity has been laid at the feet of migrants - that could go to back up your argument, but it wouldn't be taking into account a multitude of factors.

If you're going to chalk terrorist acts up to tolerance, you've got one hell of a lot of convincing to do.
Posted by TurnRightThenLeft, Tuesday, 21 November 2006 9:28:17 AM
I believe the West is sleepwalking to its destruction.
I am an agnostic, but I would rather live in a Christian society than an Islamic one, any day.
We are hampered in dealing with Islam because of our democracy and sense of fairness and justice.
Please read the following:
http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/story.html?id=c20b67cc-a21a-46bc-a6cf-986896e99acd
Posted by Froggie, Saturday, 25 November 2006 6:54:38 PM
Froggie for all intents and purposes Islam and Christianity are the same thing. Both are superstition based cults and both seek power over others. The thought of living under Christian rule is horrific given its lack of good values, its lust for violence and its greed for misery as well as its dishonesty. Theocratism is fascism. The dogma of the superstition aside Christians can not be trusted to be in control because they believe in magic and deny nature and reality.
Christianity if anything is anti fairness and anti justice because it is judgemental based on the worship of the ego and it is exclusionary and biggoted (what do Christians believe happen to non Christians). Christians have proved they are incapable of fairness and justice throughout their history. We have been saved from Christianity by secular democracy.

I am not sleepwalking to my peril , that is utterly ridiculous , you have no knowledge of a god , your denial of the rainbow serpent or little red ridinghood may be at your own peril for all you know. You cannot claim those who will not be conned are damned unless you have proof of god.
Posted by West, Sunday, 26 November 2006 9:46:37 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy