The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The growing problem called 'ADHD' > Comments

The growing problem called 'ADHD' : Comments

By Linda Graham, published 7/11/2006

Stepping back to find the causes of ADHD - how do parents come to believe their child might have ADHD in the first place?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. All
Linda Graham's concerns regarding the alarming increase in the use of medications in children diagnosed with ADHD are understandable and commendable and echo concerns psychologists have been raising for some time. It is therefore curious that she takes a swipe at psychologists who offer parents an alternative to drug treatments for improving their ability to manage children's behaviour, which can be challenging for a range of reasons. Her choice of phrase, 'the dubious PR practices of psychologists', is simply insulting. If she believes psychologists announcing the availability of parenting programs with well established efficacy, such as Triple P, is 'dubious' in any way, I suggest she makes a formal and presumably supported complaint to the Psychologists Registration Board, Health Department, Australian Psychological Society, Office of Fair Trading or other relevant body. Or she could apologise and withdraw the offending remark so we can all concentrate on the important issues.
Dr Bob Montgomery
Posted by drbobmontgomery, Tuesday, 7 November 2006 9:51:23 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Thank you for your article and genuine concern Linda. This is a very important issue and it definitely needs a lot more exposure and dialogue.

I'm disappointed by the lack of responses here, but I think they're all caught up in the "all men are filthy rapists" article also running today. I hope more will join this thread after they've finished fighting over that one.

I for one am deeply concerned over, what appears to me to be, the wanton drugging of kids. Any way one looks at it, it certainly can't be doing any of them any good. I feel deeply worried for all involved. There must be a better way. I believe there should be a lot of very serious research into the matter, because people like myself with no direct connection with the problem find it very difficult to get any reliable information at all and subsequently form conclusions that may not be correct.

And don't worry about the good doctor's comments above. If they're the ones dishing out these drugs, they're the very ones, that need to be doing the research to find better remedies than drugging kids stupid and to identify exactly what is causing this peculiar condition, which seems to have sprung up out of nowhere.

In my thinking, I think the good doctor doest protest too much.

Thanks again for bringing the subject to our attention.
Posted by Maximus, Tuesday, 7 November 2006 1:40:13 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I agree that this is a very important and disturbing trend in the attempt to control our children. Unfortunately, I think the government's reaction to the problem is a reflection of their ideology. That is there is no structural problem, it is the individual that is the problem and therefore it is his or her responsibility.
On a personal note, my son was investigated at school for ADHD and the conclusion was that he was "just a very naughty boy". That was about 16 years ago. Would that be acceptable now I wonder or would he be dosed up so that he would conform? By the way, he is a delightful 22 year old now. I am concerned however, about what sort of adults are going to result from these "drugged" children.
Posted by Lainie, Tuesday, 7 November 2006 2:06:40 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Thanks for a very interesting article which rang true.

There has been an enormous amount of social change in a very short time and the children are the meat in the sandwich.

As usual, we go about treating symptoms with bandaids.

One thing many could do right now is to choose a simpler, more meaningful life. Increased work hours to buy McMansions and electronic gadgets come off the time one has for living. We have lost the time spent doing mundane things with our children, such as chatting while preparing food or digging in the vegetable patch.

Also, in many cities children have lost their free space and the interaction with others and nature that they once had. Parents are convinced that if children are free to roam then they could be run over or molested. Some of that could be overcome by redesigning our suburbs around people rather than around cars or for profit alone. We have put the cart before the horse and we are paying for it.

As for education, well yes I believe we lost the plot when the economists and social engineers took over. If parents had more time to help their local school and attend functions all would gain enormously. But for many that is not as important as climbing the greasy pole for more income to pay off an overworked credit card.

I suspect the author is right and putting it in my words, many children are being treated for psychological and behavioural problems that are in fact just normal reactions to the crazy abnormal stuff that is going on around them. After all, how many other animals would think they are taking good care of their offspring by staying well away from them and replacing parental contact with gifts of meaningless objects?
Posted by Cornflower, Tuesday, 7 November 2006 2:13:28 PM
Another aspect along with lifestyle and less stress, is nutrition.

There has been a decrease in how much fresh food is eaten, and the very food that is eaten is usually not vine ripened. Some of it is gased and left in cold storage for up to a couple of years before being brought out.

It would not be surprising to find some kids with an annoying, irritating feeling inside due to being hungry for missing vitamins, minerals, and glyconutrients.
Posted by Newhouse, Tuesday, 7 November 2006 2:50:11 PM
I am of the belief that the so called attention deficiet syndrome only occurs in Australia, a bit like kangaroo paw which had it's beginning with office workers, it was labrllrd RSI.
In the good old days of the sixties, all the doctors pescribed dexedrine for the housewives together with phenobarb or pentobarb for goung to sleep.
I have witnessed 1000 ritalin and dexedrine scripts, and have observed that it is the mother/father who is unbalanced not the child.
My assumption is that they harras the doctor to prescribe the stimulant in the dream that it is the kids fault, not theirs.
Ritalin increases concentration and coordination, good for golf, wheras dexedrine increases heart rate and keeps you awake longer, it is rougher and cheaper.
Posted by rommel, Tuesday, 7 November 2006 3:11:51 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy